Windows 7 Conexant AC97 Audio Driver for Windows 7 64-bit

cygnus333

I am running Windows 7 64-bit on a Compaq Presario X6000 notebook that has the Conexant AC97 soundcard. No drivers I have tried will work. This includes the following from Compaq: SP36268, SP35558, SP35736 & SP39479. Has anyone actually heard sound on the Compaq Presario X6000 running Windows 7 64-bit and how did you do it?

Thanks in advance,
Chris

well, i have an hp dv5000 with the same audio device, and i got sound working no less than 5 minutes ago (therefore its not impossible...). i used the sp35558 driver (from Link Removed due to 404 Error) in an unusual way. i ran the exe file, and naturally it failed. then i went to control panel > all control panel items > device manager. right click on the sound card (under other devices) and choose update driver software > browse my computer for driver software > let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer > sound, video and game controllers > have disk > browse > c:\swsetup\sp35558\cp6308Ba. there is the doomsday message about the unsigned driver breaking your computer, but i installed it anyway. it installed successfully, made some windows noises, then i got a message about how i wasnt supposed to install unsigned drivers, and how windows was going to stop all the new drivers :mad:. so far they havent been stopped, because i still have sound. but, there is no telling what will happen after restart.
in vista, after every restart i had to hit F8 before windows booted and pick disable driver signature enforcement for my audio to work. i have a bad feeling i will have to do the same here...

good luck!
Bobby

I have the RealTek AC97 on-board sound. I found a driver for Vista that worked. They say Windows 7 uses the same drivers that Vista does.

HP COMPAQ v2000 laptop v2410us audio driver no audio

well, i have an hp dv5000 with the same audio device, and i got sound working no less than 5 minutes ago (therefore its not impossible...). i used the sp35558 driver (from 64bitdrivers.com:: Conexant AC'97 Audio Driver for Vista x64) in an unusual way. i ran the exe file, and naturally it failed. then i went to control panel > all control panel items > device manager. right click on the sound card (under other devices) and choose update driver software > browse my computer for driver software > let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer > sound, video and game controllers > have disk > browse > c:\swsetup\sp35558\cp6308Ba. there is the doomsday message about the unsigned driver breaking your computer, but i installed it anyway. it installed successfully, made some windows noises, then i got a message about how i wasnt supposed to install unsigned drivers, and how windows was going to stop all the new drivers :mad:. so far they havent been stopped, because i still have sound. but, there is no telling what will happen after restart.
in vista, after every restart i had to hit F8 before windows booted and pick disable driver signature enforcement for my audio to work. i have a bad feeling i will have to do the same here...

good luck!
Bobby
ADMINS PLEASE STICKY A THREAD FOR THIS FIX!!!! THIS PROBLEM IS VERY COMMON, EVEN FOR VISTA.
This is what worked for me, after literal hours of searches, and trying suggested fixes. Seems a common problem with HP/Compaq lappys, and the Conexant audio. Of course, HP's support is next to nill, especially if it's not the OS you got with the product. I also have no driver discs, as I am not the original owner, and this was a clean install from XP. I was convinced it was my southbridge driver, as it shares resources, but this is the ticket.

My lappy is a Compaq v2000 ( v2410us more specifically ) 1.6ghz turion

Thanks a MILLION. The three main things I need this thing for are web-surfing, music, and video. Most of which requires sound. I added several words to the title, I hope others will find their way here!!!

Try running this command in an elevated command promt and restart. This should disable driver signature enforcement.

bcdedit /set loadoptions DDISABLE_INTEGRITY_CHECKS

I got it finally, with using F8 before boot disable signature, it works perfectly now ! Alleluja ! Just to know shall I do the F8 every time or it's now fine ?:confused:

18/06/09 : shit, no way, it's starts again... reinstall automatic of the windows driver...

Last edited:
Hi, I noticed that others were having this issue so I registered just to post a response. :)

I have a HP nx6125 which also uses the 64 bit Conexant audio driver. You do not need to download an exe with the driver and install it like you would with XPor Vista.

The best way to resolve this is to use the automatic driver search and install option (Control Panel -> Devices and Printers -> Double-click your machine -> Hardware tab ->Properties for the audio device that isn't properly installed -> Change settings -> Update driver -> Search automatically).

This will install the right driver for you automatically through the internal driver update process.

I hope this helps.
Best Regards.

thanks bobby!

i used the sp35558 driver (from Link Removed due to 404 Error) in an unusual way. i ran the exe file, and naturally it failed. then i went to control panel > all control panel items > device manager. right click on the sound card (under other devices) and choose update driver software > browse my computer for driver software > let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer > sound, video and game controllers > have disk > browse > c:\swsetup\sp35558\cp6308Ba. there is the doomsday message about the unsigned driver breaking your computer, but i installed it anyway.

good luck!
Bobby
thank you bobby. i have a dv8000 and the drivers for IT did not work but the sp35558 did. i had to do it three times before i found the "i have driver disk" button in windows 7, but on the third try it worked like a charm.

I am running Windows 7 64-bit on a Compaq Presario X6000 notebook that has the Conexant AC97 soundcard. No drivers I have tried will work. This includes the following from Compaq: SP36268, SP35558, SP35736 & SP39479. Has anyone actually heard sound on the Compaq Presario X6000 running Windows 7 64-bit and how did you do it?

Thanks in advance,
Chris

OMG Thank you thank you THANK YOU!!!, I thought I was stuck with a laptop with no sound, this soo worked, you're the best!!! :)

Also I have a HP DV5000 that I noticed give A LOT of people this problem, hopefully they will visit your tip here!!

I will put down this so the search engines will pick it up...

HP DV5000 no audio after installing windows 7

and

HP DV5000 no audio after installing windows 7 x 64

Back