Windows 7 Configuring a USB printer to use an LPR port

wizardjoe

Hi all,

I have a USB printer that I would like to configure to print via LPD/LPR. How do I do this?

I have installed LPD and LPR already on my Win 7 Ultimate machine. I have also added my USB printer and it prints perfectly fine on its own. However changing the port to LPR does not seem to work.

Thanks,
Lester

Solution
To configure your USB printer to print via LPD/LPR on your Windows 7 Ultimate machine, you need to set up the printer port to use the LPR protocol. Here's a step-by-step guide on how to do this: 1. Access Printer Properties: - Open the "Devices and Printers" window by pressing the Windows key + R on your keyboard, type control printers, and press Enter. 2. Locate Your Printer: - Find your USB printer in the list of installed printers. 3. Printer Properties: - Right-click on your USB printer and select "Printer Properties" from the context menu. 4. Ports Tab: - In the properties window, go to the "Ports" tab. 5. Add Port: - Click on the "Add Port..." button. 6. Select...
To configure your USB printer to print via LPD/LPR on your Windows 7 Ultimate machine, you need to set up the printer port to use the LPR protocol. Here's a step-by-step guide on how to do this: 1. Access Printer Properties: - Open the "Devices and Printers" window by pressing the Windows key + R on your keyboard, type control printers, and press Enter. 2. Locate Your Printer: - Find your USB printer in the list of installed printers. 3. Printer Properties: - Right-click on your USB printer and select "Printer Properties" from the context menu. 4. Ports Tab: - In the properties window, go to the "Ports" tab. 5. Add Port: - Click on the "Add Port..." button. 6. Select Standard TCP/IP Port: - Choose "Standard TCP/IP Port" from the list and click "New Port..." 7. Add Port Wizard: - Follow the wizard to add a new Standard TCP/IP Printer Port. - Enter the IP address of your printer in the "Printer Name or IP Address" field. - Uncheck the "Query the printer and automatically select the driver to use" option. - Click "Next" and then "Finish". 8. Printer Properties (Continued): - Back in the "Ports" tab of the printer properties, click on the new Standard TCP/IP Port you just created to highlight it. 9. Configure LPR Protocol: - Click on the "Configure Port..." button. 10. LPR Settings: - Enter a name for the port in the "Printer Name or IP Address" field (can be any name). - In the "Queue Name" field, enter the queue name used by your printer (this information should be provided by your printer documentation). - Check the "LPR Byte Counting Enabled" box. - Click "OK" to apply the settings. 11. Apply Changes: - Click "Apply" or "OK" to save the changes. 12. Test Printing: - Try printing a test page to see if the printer is now set up to print via the LPD/LPR protocol. By following these steps, you should be able to configure your USB printer to print using the LPD/LPR protocol on your Windows 7 Ultimate machine. If you encounter any issues or have further questions, feel free to ask for assistance.

Solution
Back