Windows 7 Confusing BSOD has me worried

catlover1672

My laptop came with windows 7, I never had to install it. I have had the same problem with this twice, and I want to stop this from happening again. You see, both times, the computer would run unnaturally slow, then when I am in the middle of something (First time was browsing the internet, second time was listening to music) the horrid Blue Screen of Death would pop up, displaying an error message for a few seconds, then my computer would go to a screen telling me to install an operating system. Both times I rebooted and it would act like its just fine, but it wouldn't ever actually make it to the screen where I enter the password. (it got stuck on the Starting Windows screen) After that, I reboot and go to system restore(or something like that) and let it do its thing for a few hours, then it would start up like nothing had happened in the first place. Even though I can't see any harm done to the laptop, I still am worried. Can someone help me?
Sorry, I don't have any idea what the screen said. I didn't even have time to read it, let alone take some sort of picture. Oh, and by the way, I did a full system scan with Avira (anitvirus) afterwards (both times) but it didn't pick up anything.

Hi Catlover,
have you ran windows update to see if updates anything like drivers? To be honest though if it's brand new then take it back to the supplier (or at least contact them.. Why should you have to mess around trying to fix it?)

I agree, it's not worth your time messing around with it if it's brand new..

It could very well be something as simple as a driver that needs to be updated or installed but as Kemical said, you just got it so why mess around with it.. ;)

Take it back if the pc is unchanged

Provided the problem hasn't arisen from any changes you've made you are probably best off taking it back. If you want to look further into the problem you should first stop your pc automatically rebooting on a BSOD so you can fully read the error information. Do this by going to control panel, System, Advanced System Settings, Click on the Advanced tab, Under startup and recovery click on settings, Uncheck the "automatically restart" box.

BSOD's are frequently the result of a bad driver and I would advise never to accept automatically downloaded driver updates - instead go to the website of the pc or device manufacturer and check yourself for specific driver updates for your op sys.

Thanks Peoples

You're right, I should take it back. I didn't even think of that. :/ I think the warranty hasn't expired yet... Thanks for the advice. BTW: I'm not tech savvy, so I'll leave this up to them instead of messing with (and probably messing up) the 'puter myself.

Oops False alarm I still have a problem

My warranty is up. I can't just take it back. That's OK My sis is pretty good with tech stuff, I'll let her have a look this weekend. I just hope it doesn't happen again.

It might be worth checking the laptop makers website to see if any updates are relevant such as bios ect...

My laptop came with windows 7, I never had to install it. I have had the same problem with this twice, and I want to stop this from happening again. You see, both times, the computer would run unnaturally slow, then when I am in the middle of something (First time was browsing the internet, second time was listening to music) the horrid Blue Screen of Death would pop up, displaying an error message for a few seconds, then my computer would go to a screen telling me to install an operating system. Both times I rebooted and it would act like its just fine, but it wouldn't ever actually make it to the screen where I enter the password. (it got stuck on the Starting Windows screen) After that, I reboot and go to system restore(or something like that) and let it do its thing for a few hours, then it would start up like nothing had happened in the first place. Even though I can't see any harm done to the laptop, I still am worried. Can someone help me?
Sorry, I don't have any idea what the screen said. I didn't even have time to read it, let alone take some sort of picture. Oh, and by the way, I did a full system scan with Avira (anitvirus) afterwards (both times) but it didn't pick up anything.

take a look in your %systemroot%\Minidump << where your .dmp files can be found then copy them out to any folder and zip them and attach in a post here for analysis plz ?

Back