Windows 7 Confusion over 2 HDD and how to setup

domineaux

I have Vista Ultimate 64bit currently installed on C:: drive.

I disconnected the Vista Drive and installed a new 7000+ RPM SATA drive, which I installed the Windows 7 Professional on.

So, naturally when I connect the cables to each drive I have issues with disk ID pointers - C: F: E: kinda stuff.

The old drive 5000+ RPM is Vista and has 300+ GB of data with appx 120 gb of free storage. All the pointers in the registry are pointing the C: drive for applications and data.

The new drive is Windows 7 and currently that is all that is on the drive size is 1 TB.

My bios does provide for setting the boot drive sequence, but I prefer not to make changes in the Bios each time.

I want to eventually migrate everything over to Windows 7, but for now I will be happy to use the VISTA OS for working with the applications currently on the Vista drive.

I don't know if there is a competent migration tool that will actually amend the Vista Applications/registry or whatever is needed to move all the Vista drive applications and data to the Windows 7 HDD.

The Vista diskmanagement tool seems to provide some ability for changing drive and partition addresses, but I'm not quite sure this is a best way to do things.

A dual boot would acceptable as well.

So, I would appreciate information or links to 1) A migration tool or how to 2)a Dual boot tool or how to from Vista 64 bit to Windows 7 64Bit.

OR most important - maybe some suggestions from others who have experienced and dealt with this issue satisfactorily.

Thanks

Well, in case you have not found and answer. The drive the computer boots to is the primary drive and is where the dual boot situation will be set up. You can download EasyBCD edit and add the drive that is not already booted to. I would set the system to boot to Win 7 first and then add the Vista OS to the boot menu. It is not all that complicated using Windows 7 and Vista.

You will not be able to migrate programs from Vista to Win 7 so you will have to reinstall those. You will have access to all your old data from the Vista drive so you can bring it over as you are ready.

'domineaux',

To obtain Dual-boot:

W/ 2 physically separate HDDs, as you have...

1 OS gets installed. Will show on C:\
2nd OS gets installed to the other HDD
Upon its (the 2nd) completion & @ boot-up there will a OS choices screen.

Whichever OS one is in will show as C:\
Boot is w/ the 1st OS installed.
If, @ the end of the day, seem to be boot issues, run Start-Up Repair w/ the W7 disc.

Regards,
Drew

"A scan a day keeps the nasties away!"

I'm not knocking your advice at all ... but I got to say that for me it's nearly impossible to understand. Just too much shortcuts. I may be the only one but I thought I would mention it for your cosideration.

Back
Top Bottom