Windows 8 Constant BSODs recently

joejalbert

I have been receiving many BSODs lately, I swapped the hard drive and the RAM out and neither have seemed to be the problem. MemTests pass with no errors and all drivers and the BIOS are up to date. I am assuming it is a problem with my motherboard but I want to be sure before I spend the money on a new one. I have uploaded all the required files. Your help will be greatly appreciated!

Attachments

• W7F_28-05-2014.zip
    482.9 KB · Views: 663
  • cpuz.zip
    155.1 KB · Views: 275
Code:
*                        Bugcheck Analysis                                    *

Use !analyze -v to get detailed debugging information.

BugCheck 1000007E, {ffffffffc0000005, fffff800026c1bab, ffffd000259710f8, ffffd00025970900}

*** WARNING: Unable to verify timestamp for athuw8x.sys
*** ERROR: Module load completed but symbols could not be loaded for athuw8x.sys
Probably caused by : athuw8x.sys ( athuw8x+298bc6 )

Followup: MachineOwner
Hi,
you have a number of different dump files which in itself can be indicative of a hardware error. The above points to an Atheros Wifi driver although dumps for the kernel sub system and mountmgr.sys (to do with storage) were also noted.
Checking through your CPU-Z files I noticed you are running with four sticks of RAM. If I remember correctly some AMD chips have weak memory controllers and if all four slots are filled the memory controller can fail leading to a crash or bsod. Try removing two sticks and see how the system runs. I can.t remember which chips were involved but give it a try anyway. If it does turn out to be that then upping the memory controller voltage can sometimes help but I'd research this before going ahead.

athuw8x.sys Mon Oct 15 12:08:55 2012: Driver for Qualcomm Atheros UB91/UB93/UB94 Network Adapter. Your board carries a Realtek network chip so is this a USB adapter? Please either update, re-install or remove.

Try making the above changes and see how you go. If bsod's continue please post the new dump files.

Alright, I made the changes you've suggested and just received another BSOD, this one with the error "NTFS_FILE_SYSTEM." I've attached the dump file. Thank you for helping!

Attachments

• 052914-12265-01.dmp
    289.5 KB · Views: 317
Code:

BugCheck 24, {b500190637, ffffd00025e1e778, ffffd00025e1df80, fffff803e4c88a33}

Probably caused by : ntkrnlmp.exe ( nt!RtlInsertElementGenericTableFullAvl+97 )

Hi,
NTFS relates to your storage. I notice above you said you recently replaced the hard drive. If it's an SSD make sure the firmware is the latest. Try running a chkdsk too:
http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vista/guide-to-using-check-disk-in-windows-vista/

The BSODs existed before swapping the hard drive, however I still had the old hard drive attached but it wasn't in use. I have disconnected the old hard drive completely now and I will update the firmware if it is available, crossing my fingers.

Well, all seemed okay for a couple of hours but then I just got another SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION BSOD referring to the ntoskrnl.exe driver. I've attached the dump file once again. This BSOD occured as soon as I hit shut down. Also, I did run a disk check and there seem to be no errors with my drive.

Attachments

• 053014-9328-01.dmp
    289.5 KB · Views: 314
Code:

BugCheck 3B, {c0000005, fffff8000c8f87ef, ffffd00028c128c0, 0}

Probably caused by : ntkrnlmp.exe ( nt!RealSuccessor+37 )

Hi,
this bugcheck can appear when there's a hardware fault or some new software or process is added.
Looking through the dump file it seems the process that was involved with crash was the NvidiaStream:

Code:
BUGCHECK_STR:  0x3B

PROCESS_NAME:  nvstreamsvc.ex

NvStreamKms.sys Wed Apr 30 01:59:44 2014: This driver is known for causing bsod in windows 8.1 so it might be at the root of your issues too. Try uninstalling to test.

netr7064.sys Tue Apr 27 14:38:55 2010: Ralink 802.11 Wireless Adapters Driver please update:
http://www.mediatek.com/_en/07_downloads/01_windows.php
Although there's no win 8 drivers just use the latest win 7.

Post any new dump files.

So I deleted that driver but now after about an hour I got a BSOD called "KERNEL_SECURITY_CHECK_FAILURE" however, it reset without generating a dump file so I am unable to see what caused it. Upon restarting my PC froze completely without a BSOD. I am now waiting for another BSOD to occur, hopefully one that will generate a dump file.

Here we go, SYSTEM_PTE_MISUSE referencing the driver ntoskrnl.exe once again. For whatever reason now, even with ownership of the file, I am unable to upload or even compress the dump file... I am given the error message "File not found or no read permission." Instead I have attached a screenshot of BlueScreenView with this BSOD being the top most entry.

Attachments

• ntoskrnlBSOD.PNG
    ntoskrnlBSOD.PNG
    97.3 KB · Views: 448
Hi Joe,
I really need to see that dump file to debug it properly also the actual dump will contain info in the parameters section which can point to the cause, strange that you can't upload the files... Did you try using the app found in this thread:
http://windowsforum.com/threads/how-to-ask-for-help-with-a-bsod-problem.178480/

Also just ensure your settings are set thus:

Go to Start and type in sysdm.cpl and press Enter
Click on the Advanced tab
Click on the Startup and Recovery Settings button
Ensure that Automatically restart is unchecked
Under the Write Debugging Information header select Small memory dump (256 kB) in the dropdown box
Ensure that the Small Dump Directory is listed as %systemroot%\Minidump << where your .dmp files can be
found later.
Click OK twice to exit the dialogs, then reboot for the changes to take effect.

Code:

BugCheck DA, {504, fffff6e800167e38, 40, cfc7}

Probably caused by : ntkrnlmp.exe ( nt! ?? ::FNODOBFM::`string'+1fe46 )

Hi,
the above error relates to virtual memory address's or PTE (page table entry) When a process needs access to memory an address is created and this address is stored on a PTE. Something, either a driver or process is using the PTE incorrectly causing the crash. Checking through your dump file the only likely suspect driver wise is this one:

netr7064.sys Tue Apr 27 14:38:55 2010: Ralink 802.11 Wireless Adapters
Please update using the link provided above.

Just going back to your RAM, when you ran memtest86 was it on the old sticks or these new sticks? Also how long did you run it for?
Your also missing some AMD chipset drivers:
http://support.amd.com/en-us
(790X chipset)

I just ran another memtest to be sure and the 2 RAM sticks that are installed passed with no errors.
As for the netr7064.sys, I downloaded the drivers but I am not entirely sure how to install them with the cab file.
Also, I can't seem to find any chipset drivers on that website.
I have also received 2 more BSODs with different errors, BUGCODE_USB_DRIVER and KMODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED, these point to USBPORT.SYS and cdd.dll respectively. Dumps are attached.

Attachments

• 053014-9531-01.dmp
    289.5 KB · Views: 321
  • 053014-10203-01.dmp
    289.5 KB · Views: 313
Code:

BugCheck FE, {6, ffffe0000196c2d8, 43787254, 0}

Probably caused by : USBPORT.SYS ( USBPORT!USBPORT_Core_UsbHcIntDpc_Worker+21f6c )

Hi,
is the network device USB? Anyhoo I found a better link for the driver:
http://www.driverscape.com/download/ralink-802.11n-wireless-lan-card

Also how long are you leaving memtest86 to run?

AMD chipset drivers can be found here:
http://support.amd.com/en-us/download/chipset?os=Windows 8 - 64

Description:
This package is for motherboards with 700 series or newer AMD chipsets, and includes:
AMD Chipset Drivers
AMD AHCI Driver
AMD USB 3.0 Driver

Hi, I installed both of these drivers.
I left memtest86 running for about 2 hours with no errors.
I am using a USB network device now, different from the last one which was causing a problem. It is now a Linksys Wireless G which I have made sure to download the latest drivers for.
I received another BSOD earlier today (after already installing the updated drivers) for BAD_POOL_HEADER caused by the driver "fltmgr.sys."

Attachments

• 053114-10468-01.dmp
    289.5 KB · Views: 370
Strangely I couldn't open your dump file as it said incorrect format. Did you change any settings?
Open a admin command prompt by right clicking on it and clicking run as admin. Type:
sfc /scannow
Press enter and await results.

How did the issue start initially?

Did it just start blue screening or had you added anything new?

Did you buy RAM that was compatible with your motherboard?

Also 2hrs isn't really long enough for testing your RAM. To test it properly you need to run it overnight as sometimes an error won't appear straight away.

If you get any further dump files please post.

This issue began about 2 years ago, I had not replaced anything. After attempting to fix it by replacing both the RAM and the hard drive (part of why I am fairly certain the RAM is not the issue) I decided I'd rather not deal with it and stored it away for a while up until a couple of weeks ago. I was assuming that the problem was in the motherboard but I started this thread to make sure I wasn't going to be wasting money in replacing the motherboard.

The RAM is definitely compatible with the motherboard, unless something besides DDR3 determines compatibility.
I will run another MemTest tonight just to be certain, I've also attached another instance of the dump file again as well as a new BSOD I received not too long ago.

Attachments

• 053114-10468-01.dmp
    289.5 KB · Views: 314
  • 053114-9531-01.dmp
    261.1 KB · Views: 309
Code:

BugCheck 1E, {ffffffffc0000005, fffff802ec5ca929, 0, ffffffffffffffff}

*** WARNING: Unable to verify timestamp for ataport.SYS
*** ERROR: Module load completed but symbols could not be loaded for ataport.SYS
*** WARNING: Unable to verify timestamp for PCIIDEX.SYS
*** ERROR: Module load completed but symbols could not be loaded for PCIIDEX.SYS
Probably caused by : rdyboost.sys ( rdyboost!SmdMdlAllocate+26 )

Hi,
your other dump file was a bad pool header or bugcheck 19. Nearly every dump file you've sent has been different which in itself is indicative of a hardware issue.
You still have this driver in your system:
netr7064.sys Tue Apr 27 14:38:55 2010
As your now using something else please remove or break it by renaming it to .old or similar. It's the only thing in your driver stack that looks out of place or suspicious simply because of it's date and the fact your using windows 8.

Okay, I deleted that file and I am now going to let the memtest run until tomorrow morning.
One question, as of right now (if it ends up being a hardware issue) what would you think needs replacing?

Back