Windows 7 corrupt file hunter / killer

7UP

hi all!

If you're like me, sometimes corrupt files make navigating a folder a huge headache. I'm trying to organize thousands of files, and amalgamate all files onto one hard drive.

What I would like, is some app, or method, that tracks down potential problem files, and deletes them or quarantines them so they don't freeze up the system.

Any tips on this?

Thanks so much!

7UP

deletes them or quarantines them so they don't freeze up the system.
A file can only "freeze up the system" depending on the file type and the context in which it is being handled or processed. There is no universal algorithm or mechanism for identifying any file as having such properties. You are seeking the philosopher's stone.

Thanks for the response..

My issues is that between all my external / internal drives and folder, I have many such freezes. Sometimes I will navigate to a folder containing 20 other folders of mp3s, and it will just lock up. I am unable to trouble shoot thousands of files to figure out the one that froze.

Do you have any suggestions on workflow, given my current reality? Maybe some kind of virtual box that I could test folders in, and monitor the file that caused the glitch somehow.. Then delete that file, and reload the virtual box?

I don't even really know what a virtual box is (except an os within an os maybe?) but maybe this idea would work?

Thanks for any tips..
7UP

It may well be not freezing but creating massive lags. There can be a number of causes but the most likely is that some of your mp3's are likely to have embedded artwork and resolution of the png files will consume time. You could have a look at something mp3tag which will enable you to edit them out.

Back