Windows 7 Could I upgrade from Vista 32-bit to Windows 7 64-bit with the Upgrade disk?

doronba

Hi,
I ordered the 50$ Windows 7 upgrade disk.
I realize that Windows 7 will need vista or XP already installed for the upgrade version of Windows 7.
But if I want to upgrade my Vista 32-bit to Windows 7 64-bit,
Will I be able to do it with this upgrade disk?
after all I will need a fresh install (because 32 to 64) and this is the upgrade version...
Thanks!

I believe this is possible as both flavors will be offered on the disc I'm certain that you can clean install with upgrade media i don't even think you need a trick i think that option is always available but don't take my word for it these questions have been beaten to death on these forums just do a little searching you'll find the concrete answer you need.

Yes, I saw a lot of thread on this subject but none with a similar question...

Last edited:
I don't see why a 32 bit OS wouldn't upgrade to a 64 bit one you might lose more apps but the OS itself should be okay.Please post back here when you try it out as that would be good info to have on this board.

I tried upgrading from 32bit Vista Ultimate to 64-bit Windows 7 Professional and received an error indicating the file system could not be upgraded.

So the answer to this question is no, you cannot upgrade from 32bit Vista to 64bit Windows 7. I had to backup, wipe and install fresh.

Upgrade ??

"But if I want to upgrade my Vista 32-bit to Windows 7 64-bit,
Will I be able to do it with this upgrade disk?
after all I will need a fresh install (because 32 to 64) and this is the upgrade version..."

There is much confusion over the definition of "upgrade". Microsoft's definition would say, "Yes you can use the upgrade disk to perform a clean install from Vista 32 bit to Windows 7 64 bit." Common usage would say, "No, you cannot perform an upgrade from Vista 32 bit to Windows 7 64 bit, you must perform a clean install ." "Clean install" is the key word here. As you stated in your post, you must perform a "clean install"..........but you can do that (from Vista 32 bit to Windows 7 64 bit) with an "upgrade" disk.

I'm sorry but I don't know that answer. I tried to upgrade mine and it didn't work so I had to do "Custom Advanced" and do a fresh install.

There is much confusion over the definition of "upgrade". Microsoft's definition would say, "Yes you can use the upgrade disk to perform a clean install from Vista 32 bit to Windows 7 64 bit." Common usage would say, "No, you cannot perform an upgrade from Vista 32 bit to Windows 7 64 bit, you must perform a clean install ." "Clean install" is the key word here. As you stated in your post, you must perform a "clean install"..........but you can do that (from Vista 32 bit to Windows 7 64 bit) with an "upgrade" disk.

Thanks, that what I wanted to hear. :razz:
Could you give me please your source?

You cannot upgrade from Windows Vista 32 bit to Windows 7-64 bit, you need to do a fresh install. As for dual booting, make a new partition and install windows 7 on it. It will setup the dual boot.

You CAN NOT UPGRADE A 32 BIT System to a 64 BIT SYSTEM WITH AN UPGRADE DISK. CHECK THE INFO THAT COMES WITH THE UPGRADE PACKAGE FOR VERIFICATION. You receive both 32 and 64 bit disks when you purchase the upgrade, but you can only upgrade 32 bit to 32 bit and 64 bit to 64 bit.

You CAN NOT UPGRADE A 32 BIT System to a 64 BIT SYSTEM WITH AN UPGRADE DISK.
Yes you can! It must be a clean install or custom install to do it though. The Windows 7 DVD install discs are exactly the same whether they're labeled "Retail" or "Upgrade".

It's the product key that signifies the difference.

Go to Paul Thurrott's SuperSite for Windows and you can read a tutorial on how to use the "Upgrade" discs to do a full clean install of Windows 7.

Click on the link below to check it out:

Link Removed due to 404 Error

You can use your current 32 bit operating system to install the new OS. The old one will satisfy the upgrade check, but in order to get the new OS on, you will have to perform a clean install. You will lose anything installed, so perform a backup prior. The disc WILL work but you will have a NEW operating system.

Back