Windows 7 Counterfiet Notice after Update

win7newbee

I'm new here so not sure if this is the right place but am hoping someone can help me out. I bought what appeared to be a genuine Windows 7 Pro from Craiglist to save some money - it was shrinkwrap and had a COA outside. I installed this on a new laptop I got for my sister oversees. It installed and registered fine. A couple of days ago, I was curious to see how the 64-bit version works (since I have MAC at home) and tried to instal it on my own virtual machine and used the same product key to register. It didn't take it and it wasn't a big deal since I was only testing. Anyway, I got an email from my sister a week later saying when she did a windows update, it came back saying the OS was counterfeit. (Coincidence?) It's been over 2 months since I installed it on her laptop. COuld what I did on my VM triggered that notice? If so, what recourse do I have? I have since them uninstalled the 64-bit version on my system since I have no need for it. Moreover, was I sold a dud? Hopefully not.

Hi

Since it validated to start with I'm guessing it's real.
If you tried to validate it on your Mac it may have triggered this.

I just re-installed Windows 7 on my computer and came up with a similar message.

I had it re-run validation and it came up OK.

Here's some info about validation and a link to a validation package.

Description of the update for Windows Activation Technologies

Mike

Ps. If that fails just have your sister call the support number, they are actually pretty helpful on stuff like this.

Last edited:
there is a specific update that searches for fake keys or cracks etc. as stated before the version activated

What the update does
when installed if it notices that the version is cracked or the use of a wrong key then it will flag up wth a message..

i would double check if the version is valid first of all and double check the key,

Thank you Mike. That makes sense. The span between when I tried to load it on mine and when she got the notice was just a couple days apart. I'll have her rerun the validation as you suggested and see if that fixes it. Many thanks again!!!

Thank you Mike. That makes sense. The span between when I tried to load it on mine and when she got the notice was just a couple days apart. I'll have her rerun the validation as you suggested and see if that fixes it. Many thanks again!!!

are u using the same CD key on 2 machines?

Kaos,

Yes, I tried to use the same key. I know I'm not supposed to. :) I thought that since I got both 32-bit and 64-bit that I could load each one on separate machines. Guess not.

I think he installed the 32 bit version on his sisters computer and then tried the 64 bit disk on his Mac with the same serial number.

Mike,

Yes, that's exactly what I tried to do. 32 for my sister and tried 64 on mine. I've removed mine since but am just trying to get hers "legit" again.

Microsofts validation thing
Link Removed due to 404 Error

im not sure if it gets rid of the ho haa on the screen or not but you can try

Back