Windows 7 CPU Sometimes Spikes to 100 Percent When Streaming Media

justino

Hello Forum,

When I'm viewing an online video or streaming Internet radio, more often than not my CPU will spike to 100 percent and slow considerably and stay there until I pause the video or audio. I've only experienced the problem for the past week. It is the same whether using IE or Firefox. I've used Process Explorer, and when this happens most of the CPU usage is coming from my Internet browser.The Task Manager program jumps to at about 20 to 40 percent when the CPU spikes.

When I boot in Safe Mode, I don't experience any problem. When I watch a DVD, my CPU usage is about 15 percent, but if I start browsing the CPU will jump too. I'm running a new HP G71 with 64-bit Windows 7. I've tried system restore, but the symptoms remain. All my updates (chipset and drivers) are up-to-date as well.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Hi Justino,
how much RAM do you have? Also you could try increasing your page file?

Thanks for the response. I have 4GB or RAM.

I think I stumbled across a solution. I had my power options on Power saver and noticed that the Maximum Frequency on my CPU was dipping into 30 percent. I changed my fan setting in the power options to active instead of passive. About two hours in, and there have been no recurrences yet.

I'll trying increasing my page fille to 4400MB. I'll reply again if there is any noticeable difference after I do.

Thanks Justino. I'll keep my fingers crossed and hope everything is ok.. :)

Back