geekmaster1

I think it's caused by Norton anti-virus 2008.
Please do not suggest that I use another AV like AVG or somethiing.
I don't mean to be anal or anything, but I have asked the question on other forums and the thread turned into a "Norton Sucks" thread.

I would really just like the problem resolved.

Issue:
So what this is a FRESH install of Vista Ultimate.
What I restarted a few times with no issue via windows icon>restart and or installing Windows Update>restart. So the point is that restarting has been fine for me up UNTIL the point in which I installed Norton Anti-virus. What happens is at the startup screen(You know that screen with the green little bar that appears just before the windows logo when you boot up your computer?), it freezes. My computer is a custom PC and I have one of those power switched to completely cut of the power to my tower besides the power button and restart in order for Windows not to crash (lockup, hang) on boot.

The whole reason I re-installed Windows in the first place is because this issue came up.

If anyone has any suggestions I would appreciate it.

Update:
I tried removing Norton as a service and a startup item via MSCONFIG AND I tried removing all USB incase that was the issue, but it still froze

Note:
This is a FRESH install after the issue came up the first time

Also, I installed Windows updates around the same time of the Norton install both time (first Windows install and second Windows install)

Solution
It seems like you are encountering a freezing issue during the startup process after installing Norton Anti-Virus 2008 on a fresh install of Vista Ultimate. Here are some steps you can take to troubleshoot and resolve the problem: 1. Safe Mode Boot: - Try booting into Safe Mode. If your computer starts up fine in Safe Mode, it could indicate that a third-party application, such as Norton Anti-Virus, is causing the issue. 2. Norton Removal Tool: - Use the official Norton Removal Tool to completely uninstall Norton Anti-Virus from your system. Sometimes traditional uninstall methods may leave remnants that can cause conflicts. 3. Check for Windows Updates: - Make sure your Windows system is up-to-date with all the latest...
It seems like you are encountering a freezing issue during the startup process after installing Norton Anti-Virus 2008 on a fresh install of Vista Ultimate. Here are some steps you can take to troubleshoot and resolve the problem: 1. Safe Mode Boot: - Try booting into Safe Mode. If your computer starts up fine in Safe Mode, it could indicate that a third-party application, such as Norton Anti-Virus, is causing the issue. 2. Norton Removal Tool: - Use the official Norton Removal Tool to completely uninstall Norton Anti-Virus from your system. Sometimes traditional uninstall methods may leave remnants that can cause conflicts. 3. Check for Windows Updates: - Make sure your Windows system is up-to-date with all the latest updates. Installing Windows updates is important for system stability and security. 4. Startup Repair: - Perform a startup repair using the Windows Vista installation disc. This can help fix certain startup issues and repair corrupted system files. 5. Event Viewer: - Check the Event Viewer for any error messages or warnings that might provide more insight into what is causing the freeze during startup. 6. System File Checker: - Run the System File Checker tool to scan for and restore corrupted system files that could be causing the freezing issue. 7. Driver Updates: - Ensure that all your device drivers are up-to-date. Outdated or incompatible drivers can sometimes lead to startup problems. 8. Hardware Check: - Verify that all your hardware components are functioning properly. Sometimes faulty hardware can cause startup issues. 9. Limit Startup Programs: - Use MSCONFIG to limit the number of startup programs running with Windows. This can help identify if a specific program is causing the freezing. 10. System Restore: - Consider using System Restore to revert your system back to a point before you installed Norton Anti-Virus to see if the issue resolves. By following these steps, you can pinpoint and hopefully resolve the freezing issue you are experiencing during startup after installing Norton Anti-Virus 2008. It's important to ensure that your system is secure and stable without encountering such hindrances.

Solution