Windows 10 Crashing under heavy GPU loads

supalup

Hey guys,

My computer keeps crashing under heavy GPU loads, was wondering if someone can help me narrow down the issue.

Thanks.

Attachments

• W7F_06-04-2018.rar
    1.6 MB · Views: 275
Hi,
unfortunately no dump file was within those sent.

This could be down to either:

Incorrect dump settings, please make the following changes:
Open the run application.
Type sysdm.cpl in the run box and click ok.
Look across the top of the system properties box for 'Advanced' and click that.
Look for 'Startup and Recovery' near the bottom and click 'settings'.
Near the bottom you'll see a drop down menu under the heading 'write debugging information'.
In the drop down menu choose ' small memory dump (256KB)'
Under 'small dump directory' make sure it says %SystemRoot%\Minidump.
Click ok and your good to go.

Or
There is either no page file or the one your using is too small. If you have never actually changed it yourself then it's probably fine.
If it has been changed please revert to recommended amount.

Or
Your bsod was a bugcheck 124 as these types of bugchecks often do not leave a dump file.

If your crashing under heavy gpu loads then possible culprits could be:

Overclocking: If you are, please return to normal values and see if the bsod stops.

Driver: Update to latest making sure the previous version is removed using DDU or display driver uninstaller as this cleans out any corruption.

Overheating: Ensure the system is free from dust build up and there's plenty of airflow.

I see your running a GTX 980 which needs a power supply of around 500W. If there isn't enough power then you may see the type of symptoms you've been witnessing.

Hardware failure: The gpu might simply be on it's way out but we can run a battery of tests to determine that.

How long is it before the machine blue screens when playing?

I look forward to your reply

Last edited:
Hi,
unfortunately no dump file was within those sent.

This could be down to either:

Incorrect dump settings, please make the following changes:
Open the run application.
Type sysdm.cpl in the run box and click ok.
Look across the top of the system properties box for 'Advanced' and click that.
Look for 'Startup and Recovery' near the bottom and click 'settings'.
Near the bottom you'll see a drop down menu under the heading 'write debugging information'.
In the drop down menu choose ' small memory dump (256KB)'
Under 'small dump directory' make sure it says %SystemRoot%\Minidump.
Click ok and your good to go.

Or
There is either no page file or the one your using is too small. If you have never actually changed it yourself then it's probably fine.
If it has been changed please revert to recommended amount.

Or
Your bsod was a bugcheck 124 as these types of bugchecks often do not leave a dump file.

If your crashing under heavy gpu loads then possible culprits could be:

Driver: Update to latest making sure the previous version is removed using DDU or display driver uninstaller as this cleans out any corruption.

I've gone through these steps with DDU, made sure that was all clear.

Overheating: Ensure the system is free from dust build up and there's plenty of airflow.

Case is clean, plenty of airflow. the GPU is a reference gtx980, exhaust's from the rear.

I see your running a GTX 980 which needs a power supply of around 500W. If there isn't enough power then you may see the type of symptoms you've been witnessing.

I'm running a Corsair RM1000 PSU

Hardware failure: The gpu might simply be on it's way out but we can run a battery of tests to determine that.

How long is it before the machine blue screens when playing?

It can be 5 minutes, or 5 hours. Sometimes I get a complete screen lock up, have to hit the manual reset button for it to power down.

I look forward to your reply

Thanks for the reply!

My responses are in the quote.

Hi,
thank you for information.

Did you change the dump file settings or are they like that anyway?

Is your machine overclocked? If so, have you tried default settings?

Have you ran Furmark to see if the card is stable?

If the gpu doesn't crash then you might have something else going on when gaming other than the gpu crapping out.
FurMark: VGA Stress Test, Graphics Card and GPU Stability Test, Burn-in Test, OpenGL Benchmark and GPU Temperature | oZone3D.Net

Is it possible for you to try the graphics card running in a different machine, a friends perhaps?

If you do get a dump file at some point please send one in asap.

Hi,
I've been going over your dxdiag and a couple of things popped up.

Under error reporting you have a few events relating to exhausted resources :
Event ID 1001 — Resource Exhaustion Resolver

I'm wondering if the above relates to your vram and I have a hunch about what might be happening?

As your aware you have plenty of RAM although the gpu has only 4GB of Vram.

Your machine has an excellent CPU and I wonder if this is leading you to set graphic settings within games to the highest possible combination?

The only trouble is, as your aware, 4GB of Vram doesn't go far these days.. I have the Ti version of the 980 with 6GB of Vram and some months ago I was playing a game right on the limit of 6GB (Titanfall 2 i think) and at times it would lock up. I wonder if this is whats happening to you?

See if backing off some of the heavier graphical tweaks within each game helps.

Something else which may or may not be related is your current free space on the C drive:

snip.JPG

Ideally you want a good 25% of clear space for Windows to work properly. See if you can free up some extra space by either removing unused apps and/or data.

Hi,
thank you for information.

Did you change the dump file settings or are they like that anyway?

They were like that anyway.

Is your machine overclocked? If so, have you tried default settings?

It used to be, but since the first time this started happening, I've returned it back to stock clocks, still the same result.

Have you ran Furmark to see if the card is stable?

I have ran furmark multiple times... it did lock up one of those times though, but I've tried again a few times after, and can't get it to repeat.

IT did crash again earlier while playing GTA 5, which is where it first started doing it. I did lower the graphic settings in game, seems to yield the same results.

If the gpu doesn't crash then you might have something else going on when gaming other than the gpu crapping out.
FurMark: VGA Stress Test, Graphics Card and GPU Stability Test, Burn-in Test, OpenGL Benchmark and GPU Temperature | oZone3D.Net

Is it possible for you to try the graphics card running in a different machine, a friends perhaps?

I don't have any other machines to stick it in, I used to, cleared all my old stuff out.

If you do get a dump file at some point please send one in asap.

Hi,
I've been going over your dxdiag and a couple of things popped up.

Under error reporting you have a few events relating to exhausted resources :
Event ID 1001 — Resource Exhaustion Resolver

I'm wondering if the above relates to your vram and I have a hunch about what might be happening?

As your aware you have plenty of RAM although the gpu has only 4GB of Vram.

Your machine has an excellent CPU and I wonder if this is leading you to set graphic settings within games to the highest possible combination?

The only trouble is, as your aware, 4GB of Vram doesn't go far these days.. I have the Ti version of the 980 with 6GB of Vram and some months ago I was playing a game right on the limit of 6GB (Titanfall 2 i think) and at times it would lock up. I wonder if this is whats happening to you?

See if backing off some of the heavier graphical tweaks within each game helps.

Something else which may or may not be related is your current free space on the C drive:

View attachment 36114

Ideally you want a good 25% of clear space for Windows to work properly. See if you can free up some extra space by either removing unused apps and/or data.

Responses again in the quote.

I could try to do a fresh windows install, see how that goes.

This computer was built in 2014, and has been on 24/7 pretty much since then, so maybe the parts are getting tired.

But I'd really like to avoid a new PC build, or even buying a new GPU with the current rates they are going for.

Thanks for all the help man, it's really appreciated.

If the card is proving hard to crash during testing then we may have another culprit.

If it's a while since you last did a clean install then it might be worth trying?

Try running this diagnostic for the cpu just to make sure all is ok that end:
Download Intel® Processor Diagnostic Tool

Have you checked the card isn't overheating by monitoring it's temps when at load and again at idle?
HWiNFO64 is good for monitoring temps:
HWiNFO - Hardware Information, Analysis and Monitoring Tools

It's probably been 5 months since the last clean install or so.

I always have HW monitor running, all temps are perfect.

I'm actually a tech by trade, but this problem has me chasing, which can get frustrating quickly. Lol.

Hmm.. So going back to your former overclock. How big was the overclock on the card itself?

As you were originally overclocked have you set the bios settings back to 'recommended defaults'?

Rather than a full re-install try these scans:

File scans
Right click on the Start menu icon and from the revealed list choose 'admin command prompt'. Type:
sfc /scannow
press enter and await results

In the same command prompt and after the above scan has finished type:
dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth
Press enter and await results (longer this time).

If the first scan found files it could not repair but the second scan is successful, run the first scan again using the same command prompt box and this time it should repair the files found.

Have you had any crashes recently and if so did they create any dump files?

Please post if any are available.

Have you had any crashes recently and if so did they create any dump files?

Please post if any are available.

Had a recent lockup. No BSOD. Just hard locks the screen. Have to hard reset it. It didn't create additional dump files. :|

Do you have the onchip gpu disabled?

When i run an Intel set up i would always disable the onchip gpu. This also means your not having to share any resources as your RAM will be shared to help the onchip gpu.

Do you have the onchip gpu disabled?

When i run an Intel set up i would always disable the onchip gpu. This also means your not having to share any resources as your RAM will be shared to help the onchip gpu.

I have not done that, never had any issues before.

How does one go about disabling the onchip gpu

It's quite easy to do.

You will need to boot into the UEFI Bios and find the setting for the onboard or onchip gpu. (If you have a motherboard manual (usually downloadable from the support page) then that will show you where)

Set it to disabled and you'll probably see some memory sharing options grey out as they aren't needed anymore.

To boot into the bios you'll need to mash either F2 or the delete key when booting up. It's easy to miss so keep trying.

Any problems please post back.

Back
Top Bottom