Windows 10 Creator's update vs HP printing

me johnson

Extraordinary Member
One of my computers did the creators update and now refuses to print. It is a Dell Optiplex 3040 and the printer is an HP Color Laserjet CP2045.

I worked great until the update. I have removed the printer and reinstalled it several times but I get no response from the printer at all.

Hi,
I did a little checking and your model is fine with Creators Update:
Dell computers tested for Windows 10 Fall Creators Update and previous versions of Windows 10 | Dell US

I couldn't seem to find any exact information regarding the printer though.

I did find a 'How to' on installing a printer if Windows 10 in built driver fails which you may or may not have already tried. If you have, apologies:
HP Printers - Windows 10 Built-in Driver Failed to Install | HP® Customer Support

Plus are you sure your printer is a HP Color Laserjet CP 2045 and not CP 2025? The only reason i ask is because I saw lot's of results for 2025 but not 2045 when searching.

I downloaded the latest software and tried to run it. It looked like it loaded the drivers per the load bar and then it just stopped without loading the software.

Does the printer show up in device manager and are there any reported errors for the device(s)?

You may need to clean up the drivers. You can remove the drivers from a command prompt
  • First locate them with pnputil -e the Driver package provider and class should indicate if it's a printer driver
  • Then type pnputil -d oem##.inf should be the Published Name from the last command

I actually just reimaged the computer so it would be a clean install of the printer. I am waiting for Windows updates to finish before I proceed.

After re-imaging the computer and completely running all updates before loading the printer, the install was successful.

Back