Windows 7 Currently in recovery CMD and cannot remove folder with rmdir /s

amras123

Hi!

It seems I've gotten myself into quite the mess here.

I am trying to relocate my Users folder into another HDD to save space on my OS HDD by using this guide: Move the Users Directory in Windows 7

I am currently inside cmd on the Win7 Ultimate Edition(x64) DVD and have executed the following commands with some edited results next to them:

robocopy /copyall /mir /xj D:\Users C:\Users
"Directories skipped: 51 Files failed: 1"
(Cmd interpreted my C:\ drive to be the D:\ drive and my target HDD to be C:\ in recovery mode)

"Directories skipped: 2114 Files failed: 1"

Giving up on the 51 folders and the 1 file, I continued:

rmdir /S /Q D:\Users
"D:\Users\*MYUSERNAME*\AppData\Roaming\Real\Update\UPGRAD~1 - The directory is not empty

dir D:\Users\*MYUSERNAME*\AppData\Roaming\Real\Update
"Volume in drive D has no label."etc.
(1 DIR found --- UpgradeHelper)

dir D:\Users\*MYUSERNAME*\AppData\Roaming\Real\Update\UpgradeHelper'
"File Not Found"

chkdsk /f D:
"Windows has checked the file system and found no problems."
"Failed to transfer logged messages to the event log with status 50."
(Chkdsk did not help getting rid of the offending folder/file.)

I have decided to not leave command prompt until I have gotten some solid advice on this issue. Thank you in advance and I hope for speedy replies as I am stuck in recovery mode. :p
Posting from someone else's computer. ^^

Unless I am mistaken or misunderstanding what you are trying, the robocopy command copies from the first named drive to the second named drive so:

will be trying to copy from D to C and I assume you want to be copying the other way round?

I assume you want to be copying the other way round?
No, I want to copy content from D:\Users to C:\Users as D:\Users (in recovery mode command prompt) is C:\Users and C:\Users will be J:\Users. I don't know why it mixes drive letters up, but I have checked and double checked the contents of the HDD's in question before typing any commands. :)

ok - The command as you are using it will copy all file (*.*) by default but to copy all sub folders I think you also need to use the /S option.

ok - The command as you are using it will copy all file (*.*) by default but to copy all sub folders I think you also need to use the /S option.
I tried with the /s option and deleted almost all files from the users folders. Both of them...
I do not recommend anyone to do as I have now done. Not without backups, anyway. Man, every picture and document I ever had was in that folder... :(

If you're in serious doubt and want to play safe you can get the drive to me and I'll sort it for you.

If you're in serious doubt and want to play safe you can get the drive to me and I'll sort it for you.
Thank you, but I've already started trying to recover from the drive. I'm using Glary Utilities as that is what I had at hand. If I get any of my files back, I'm going to make backup copies of them right now. :p That's what I should have done from the start.

I'm going to make backup copies of them right now. :razz2: That's what I should have done from the start.
True! Hope it goes well. Let me know if you need any further help. I'm going out very soon but will check when I return.

I must be luckier than a gopher in a nail factory, 'cause I have restored all my files to their former glory. I will find another way to relocate my Users folder, all the while keeping a backup of it somewhere else entirely. ;)

Thanks for the help anyway. :)

Good to hear. Let me know if you need any more help or information about organising data and backups.

Back