Customize OneNote's file system

Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software' started by gogreen, Jul 25, 2016.

1. gogreen

gogreen Honorable Member

Using OneNote version 14.0.7166.5000 (32-bit). I've always been a bit confused about OneNote's file system and how to change it. I keep all my notes in the unfiled notes section--I have only about 28 notes, and they're all listed on the right side when I open OneNote. That's convenient enough, so I don't need sections or a deeper file system.

How do I keep all my notes in C:\Data\OneNote Notebooks\Unfiled Notes.one, removing the two "Personal" subfolders? And how do I modify the Unfiled Notes Section listing as shown? It keeps asking me a "section."

Attached Files:

2. gogreen

gogreen Honorable Member

Anyone? Just jump right in, please. Thanks.

3. Neemobeer

Neemobeer Windows Forum Team
    Staff Member

Just move the note file up two directories, modify the save path and delete the Personal folders.

4. gogreen

gogreen Honorable Member

Thanks, Neemobeer. If only it were that simple! OneNote cannot seem to find the file unless it's in OneNote's convoluted file system, including a named notebook and at least one section. Any way around that?

Attached Files:

5. Neemobeer

Neemobeer Windows Forum Team
    Staff Member

You probably have to move it from explorer and not through one note. I'm not 100% since I don't use one note.

6. gogreen

gogreen Honorable Member

Right. That's what I did. I solved the problem by moving on to using Evernote.

7. gogreen

gogreen Honorable Member

One last-ditch try: How do I erase all of my OneNote input--files, customizations, everything--and restore OneNote 2010 to its default state? Thanks.

8. ussnorway

ussnorway Windows Forum Team
    Staff Member Premium Supporter

I'm having trouble understanding your problem but it sounds like you want a way to sort files in your onenote list?

9. gogreen

gogreen Honorable Member

Thanks, ussnorway. No, I can sort OneNote files just fine. I was having trouble with the file heirarchy and how to manipulate it. I restored OneNote to its default state and started over. It's much better now--so far, so good--and I've even set up sharing a notebook between my desktop PC and my laptop over my home network. So between me and OneNote, all's forgiven. :smug: I hope it lasts.

Now, I do have a question. On some of my notes, not all, there are paragraph-like symbols on the right side (see attached). What do they mean, and how do I get rid of them?

Thanks.

Attached Files:

10. ussnorway

ussnorway Windows Forum Team
    Staff Member Premium Supporter

They are the initials of the last author to edit the notes... hide authors should remove them

gogreen likes this.
  11. gogreen

gogreen Honorable Member

Ah, share tab. Got it. Thanks!