Windows 7 Default download location ignored in IE

Sebastian42

I.E. v11 in Win7 Pro keeps downloading to the desktop, even though I have set the default download location to \Downloads\. How can I make it behave correctly ?

opening mie desktop … click the tiny gear in top-right corner of browser-window … select "view downloads" … an interface appears. bottom-left corner click "options" link … a smaller interface appears … asking the coordinates you want download-files saved to. a window appears for you to select the location … make sure you click "select folder" at bottom and window disappears. in the small-interface, click "ok" … and then click "close" on the larger-interface.

there is a registry value that also can be modified … if you still have issues, pls report back.

This is happening on a remote PC, so I can not report back until after I have access again. I CAN say that I have set the download destination as \Downloads\, and the relevant dialog box displays that choice - in spite of that, the downloads are to the desktop - THAT is why I'm posting thew question.

remote terminal … i won't even touch that. perhaps one of the others in the forum can offer further advice.

You can verify this value is set to your download folder.

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer
Value: Download Directory

Is your Remote User using a Domain network Login? If so, you'll need to check their Roaming Profile setting. If they are joined to a Domain network, the Roaming Profile will often be setup to redirect the download settings for network users to the Desktop, as many corporate end-users often cannot find their own download folders!o_O If you have an in-house IT department, you'll then have to pose this question to them. If you are not I.T. yourself, and are attempting to make this change without authorization or a Trouble-Ticket; you could get into trouble by doing so outside their purview.

The fact that your User is using W7 Pro instead of home and you are using Remote Desktop indicates this is indeed a corporate domain network.
But, you have to tell us that information; we are only guessing as you provided very little app information in your terse question.

<<<<BIGBEARJEDI>>>

'Is your Remote User using a Domain network Login?' I doubt it very much. I did not set up his system, but I have worked with it for years - both through Team Viewer (remotely) and right there at the keyboard.
'If you have an in-house IT department' - no such thing. I am an experienced amateur who gives help when needed and possible.
'User is using W7 Pro instead of home and you are using Remote Desktop indicates this is indeed a corporate domain network.' - where do I look to satisfy your thirst for this knowledge ? I work on his PC from my Desktop remotely, but if Remote Desktop is a program then, it does NOT apply.
'your terse question' - it was meant to be concise and to the point, rather than terse.

no worries, sebastian … i just got cold feet. thanks to neemobeer 'n bigbearjedi for peeking in the doorway. i been working with computers in corporate setting for quite some time … and, while i am bit of daredevil in some limited aspects … certain issues i won't approach. guess that's why i'm still there. <grin> and, bigbearjedi … guess my discretion was well-founded … thanks for providing me validation.

sebastian … did neemo's registry key resolve your situation? one more thing to consider … how often do you scan for malware? remember the definition-files for those programs need to be updated daily. thereby … it's possible malware/trojans/virus could be diverting your downloads.

realizing, of course … there's other netizens dropping in from google and other communes … i will extrapolate one additional reminder:
keep in mind … it is very easy to corrupt the windows registry … and that could mean the end of your environment. a simple " " or "." out of place can render your computer paralyzed. so, before you access the registry:
1. backup your registry-file
2. backup all personal files
3. create system-restore point
4. if possible, burn an "image-clone" disk​

best wishes to you, sebastian.

'did neemo's registry key resolve your situation?' have not had access yet.

'how often do you scan for malware?' - not OFTEN, but I did it very thoroughly when I had it HERE for a while, late last year.

'

<<You can verify this value is set to your download folder.
Value: Download Directory>>

The right pane of the IE key does not have an entry for Download; When I compared it to the same key in MY IE in Win10, I found that I had
DownloadUl REG_SZ {7D11E719-FF90-479C-B0D7-96EB43EE55D7}
which is missing from the remote PC in question.
I do not understand WHAT has to have the value of 'Download Directory'.

'Is your Remote User using a Domain network Login?' I doubt it very much. I did not set up his system, but I have worked with it for years - both through Team Viewer (remotely) and right there at the keyboard.
'If you have an in-house IT department' - no such thing. I am an experienced amateur who gives help when needed and possible.
>>>I understand; however, lots of folks for companies I worked for had Domain network logins such as Attorneys in Law Firms and University Professors who often worked from home, but didn't understand that their computer was logging into a computer network to get to the Remote computer that they need access to. Just because you are "experienced amateur" doesn't mean you are not going through a network to get to the computer your are remoting into; and the fact that someone else set it up for you, or the computer came that way; same thing.<<<

'User is using W7 Pro instead of home and you are using Remote Desktop indicates this is indeed a corporate domain network.' - where do I look to satisfy your thirst for this knowledge ? I work on his PC from my Desktop remotely, but if Remote Desktop is a program then, it does NOT apply.
>>>Normally, if you have a Domain Network login, you will have 2 entry boxes, stacked one on top of the other; AND a note underneath about connecting to different Domains on the network. The Standard Win7 login has only 1 entry box, usually for your Password. Of course, you only see this when you first turn on the computer and start it up (boot), or if you do a lock-screen (windows-logo-key + L). To help you see this visually, I'm providing some screenshots for you:

DOMAIN NETWORK LOGIN SCREEN EXAMPLE:
W7 Domain user login 2tier.png

STANDARD, OR NON-DOMAIN NETWORK LOGIN SCREEN EXAMPLE:
W7 non-domain user login.png

[just click on these thumbnails to enlarge them big enough for you to see them on your monitor! ]
Well, it turns out that Win7 Pro has a program called Remote Desktop (Remote Terminal) that lets other computers on a Domain Network access a Host computer that is inside this Domain Network; that means it needs a special PC or server running the network to accommodate this feature. (This is a simplistic explanation; if you get it fine, if not, post back and I will explain it further.) The issue I am trying to get you to answer is whether or not you are using the built-in Windows7 Remote Desktop tool as it comes from Microsoft already built into your Win7. Or are you using a 3rd party software such as TEAM VIEWER, which is NOT a Microsoft program and has different requirements. Team Viewer and similar programs such as GoToMyPC and LOGMEIN do not require a Domain Network with a network server to accomplish this remote access capability. The Remote Desktop feature in Windows7 we are talking about DOES require a Domain User Login as I've tried to explain here.
So really, the answer to my original question about your windows login screen still applies. Your response is still confusing without this missing piece of information. Also, this program appears to be very similar to the other Client-to-Client based apps such as the GoToMyPC and LOGMEIN I mention. It's primary use is by end-users or home-users. However, the Wikipedia link here: TeamViewer - Wikipedia mentions that there are Business, Premium, and Corporate versions of this program as well. Both GoToMyPC and LOGMEIN also offer these "Business" type options and I know for a fact that those require a Domain User Login. Not sure about the TEAM VIEWER program options mentioned requiring a Domain User Login as well, but I believe I heard somewhere they do. Given my 25 years of using these types of programs led me to the conclusion that without a Domain User Login, the home or personal use version of this program may not work if someone else configured it using a Business or Corporate license on your computer.
Have you asked the person who set this computer up for you this question?
We have now established that there are several 3rd party programs, including the one you are using, TEAM VIEWER, that offer remote-user access with a non-Domain user login (see my 2nd pic) on both connected PCs via the Internet (Host and Remote). Since you mentioned the Windows7 Remote Desktop program and TEAM VIEWER in your same Post, you can see my natural conclusion.<<<

'your terse question' - it was meant to be concise and to the point, rather than terse.
>>>If you've spent any time doing Tech support over the phone, or on forums such as this, you'd understand the comment I made better. Remember we can't see all the myriad details and specs of your computer--in fact, you never told us the Make/Model of the computer involved in your question (customary on most tech forums on the 'net), nor if it's a desktop PC or laptop. This is leaving us to Guess your hardware configuration, and your software configuration; which you are not even sure of since your computer had the remote access capability installed by someone other than you. I'm not being intentionally testy; but the information you gave us was contradictory from the gitgo, and that's why I asked the question I did; to try and sort things out.:confused: I've been doing tech forums for 5 years now and have helped over 5,000 people during that time with free computer advice. Sometimes, we get frustrated when people don't give us the whole story or history behind the problem and a 2-sentence 2-line Question is a very short post and a very limited amount of information to go on. Hopefully, you get that.<<<

Best,:)

<<<BBJ>>>

>>>If you've spent any time doing Tech support over the phone, or on forums such as this, you'd understand the comment I made better. Remember we can't see all the myriad details and specs of your computer--in fact, you never told us the Make/Model of the computer involved in your question (customary on most tech forums on the 'net), nor if it's a desktop PC or laptop. This is leaving us to Guess your hardware configuration, and your software configuration; which you are not even sure of since your computer had the remote access capability installed by someone other than you. I'm not being intentionally testy; but the information you gave us was contradictory from the gitgo, and that's why I asked the question I did; to try and sort things out.:confused: I've been doing tech forums for 5 years now and have helped over 5,000 people during that time with free computer advice. Sometimes, we get frustrated when people don't give us the whole story or history behind the problem and a 2-sentence 2-line Question is a very short post and a very limited amount of information to go on. Hopefully, you get that.<<<

Best,:)

<<<BBJ>>>
I have done my best to be both concise and to the point including all RELEVANT detail. I'm obviously not meeting your expectations. The thread has become so bulky, that I despair of getting any progress. But I will add this much : that the REMOTE ACCESS was set up BY ME, and merely involves installing TEAM VIEWER on both PCs (both desktops), credentialling, and taking it from there, without the word DOMAIN coming up ONCE. DOMAIN is a word I have often come across, but it leaves me uncomprehending. My latest post (yesterday) appears to have triggered the wrong 'helper', because it was a report about the application of Neemobeer's suggestion - where I believe there is an issue which might lead to resolution, but without further clarification from Neemobeer, I'm at a loss.

from your POST #8:
>>>"'Is your Remote User using a Domain network Login?' I doubt it very much. I did not set up his system, but I have worked with it for years - both through Team Viewer (remotely) and right there at the keyboard.">>>

In the above quote, you tell us that you did not set up his system. And yet in POST #13, here:
>>>"...that the REMOTE ACCESS was set up BY ME, and merely involves installing TEAM VIEWER on both PCs (both desktops), credentialling, and taking it from there,..."<<<

you tell us that you installed the Remote program, TEAM VIEWER on both PCs. this alone tells me that your information is neither concise nor accurate. No offense, but you are hindering us from helping you by posting conflicting information. Did you install the program on this person's remote PC or not? Yes or No?? Do you both use the same Internet Provider (ISP) or different ISPs? Do either of you connect to the Internet through a corporate network or University network?

As far as the definition of a DOMAIN or a DOMAIN network goes; here's a good definition from Wikipedia: Network domain - Wikipedia

Yes, I mentioned this since your description of what you are doing is very confusing as illustrated above. Part of it may have been my fault for not properly interpreting what you are doing with this person's computer. You are working on it; but we didn't ask you why and what the purpose was other than the fact that you are trying to download something onto this person's computer from your remote location and it wasn't storing it in the right location. Perhaps we could have done a better job of asking questions on this one. Mea culpa.

You then compared the location and registry values we gave you to check in his Win7 and Win10; not an applicable check since those 2 versions of Windows often store values in different places in the Registry, and the values are often different or don't match up 1:1 anyway.

And finally, I asked you for specs on BOTH computers, yours as the Remote and the other person's as the Host. Not answering back this most basic question is like asking a Car Mechanic for help over the phone with your Car not starting, but you are not even willing to tell him whether you have a Car or a Truck or a Golf Cart. I tried to explain this to you, and since you are helping this person remotely I would have thought you'd understand the difficulty of working to fix a problem remotely without being able to see it or touch it.

Sometimes, getting the right information is more important than getting some information. I might suggest that you employ the services of a Computer Network Engineer who does consulting work and pay him to sort out your problem on both your computers in person. Nothing we suggested has worked for you, and we don't have a clear picture of what you are trying to do; a communication problem we sometimes encounter in this modality of communication.

BBJ

The amount of misunderstanding that I apparently cause, makes me despair of sorting THAT out.
Both our computers are privately built, so it hard to tell you the specifcations.
I repeat I did NOT set up the remote's PC system, but I did install Team Viewer on both computers.
I am NOT trying to transfer files remotely. When the owner download things, they go to his desktop instead of to \Downloads\.
I feel that Neemobeer's 'suggestion' might work to fix the problem, but I need more detail from him, in view of thew results I got.

from how i see it, sebastian42bigbearjedi is asking for specs … you are not quite sure of what the specs are … install speccy software and upload the log file for others to view.

neemobeer probably will be along shortly, sebastian42 … he may even have lost your comment in the fray … sometimes these threads end up halfway across the milky-way … veritably.

then again … speccy may not offer the necessary information regarding networks. i have heard of software called "spice-works" … you may consider that as an alternative option, mate.

Last edited:
I know about Speccy - I have used it and Bellarc and CPUID and others. If I am told WHAT BigBearJedi wants to know, I expect to be able provide it - quickly for MY system, and eventually for the remote system.
I think neemobeer is onto something much more relevant and promising - I'd loved to pursue THAT path.

Just open regedit and navigate to
Select it and look on the right and you should see the value listed below. Make sure it's pointed to your Download folder.

Just open regedit and navigate to
Select it and look on the right and you should see the value listed below. Make sure it's pointed to your Download folder.

I have already reported that I did that, and that I found such a key is missing, so I was hoping to get guidance on how to create it - expecting that to fix the problem.

Back