Windows 7 Delete emails in Outlook for the visually impaired

Hello,

I have recently set up Microsoft Office Outlook 2007 as an IMAP client for my blind customer's yahoo email account. She has a screen reader installed on her PC called Jaws. We've set it up and tested sending and receiving email and it seems to be working really well, with one exception. Deleting emails. When you delete an email in outlook, you "mark it for deletion". I can see that the text has gone to strikethrough, but she is blind. Jaws doesn't read anything out when you do that. When you purge the emails marked for deletion in a folder, Jaws does read out a message asking you to confirm if you want to permanently delete those emails, however, it doesn't specify which emails you are deleting. There seems to be no way for her to confirm if she's had the correct email selected when she presses delete. Does anyone know if there's a way around this?

Thanks,
Isobel

You should call the JAWS people, they are great and even have a remote access client built into the JAWS system where they can help.

You should call the JAWS people, they are great and even have a remote access client built into the JAWS system where they can help.
Hi Josephur,

Thanks for taking a look. Is your idea that JAWS should read something out when the Delete button is pressed and the text goes to strikethrough?

Thanks,
Isobel

Isobel,

Screen reading can be a very difficult thing to do and do correctly. JAWS is a pretty good program, that being said I have seen issues with Outlook and it not saying everything, and in my experience this is usually due to a new version of Outlook your version of JAWS does not support, or that you are using an old version of JAWS. Unfortunately I do not have the program myself to do testing on the deleting of an email.

Back
Top Bottom