Windows 10 Desktop windows breaking down

HaraldTheGray

Hello,
I have the problem that, usually during screensharing while online presentations, all open desktop windows start bugging out and Windows just stops responding. All problems that I could find on Google talk about freezing windows, but they do not freeze. They start turning gray and jumping in and out of view, sometimes the screen turns black and suddenly starts showing the desktop again. The weirdest thing is that in between, some windows lose the Windows10 design and start being displayed in the window design we know from Windows Vista or 7 (the blueish transparency effect). This breakdown also does not stop, I have to force shutdown my PC.
Please Help

Hello,

Based on the details you have provided, it sounds like you may be experiencing a graphics driver issue. It's possible that the graphics driver is not able to handle the resource load created by a screensharing program or any other graphics-intensive application.

Here are some possible steps you can try to resolve the issue:

1. Update your graphics drivers:

You can check if there are any updates available for your graphics card driver by visiting the manufacturer's website. Once you've found the latest version available, download and install it on your computer.

2. Disable hardware acceleration:

This can be done by going to the Settings menu of your web browser and look for advanced settings; there should be a box called “Use hardware acceleration when available.” You should uncheck this box, save the changes, and restart your browser.

3. Increase virtual memory (pagefile):

Virtual memory is an extension of your computer's physical memory. It's a combination of RAM and a portion of your hard drive. Increasing your virtual memory can help speed up your computer and reduce crashing.

Follow these steps to increase your virtual memory:

- Go to the Start menu and type "Advanced System Settings" in the search box.
- Click on the "Settings" button under the "Performance" section.
- Select the "Advanced" tab.
- Click on "Change" under the "Virtual Memory" section.
- Choose the "Custom Size" option.
- Set the initial size and maximum size at twice the amount of RAM in your computer.
- Save the changes and close all windows.

4. Check for malware or viruses:

Finally, it's essential to run a malware and virus scan on your computer regularly. This can help identify any programs that might be causing the issue.

I hope these steps help resolve the issue you're facing. If the problem persists, you may need to consult with a professional technician or contact Microsoft support.

wow okey ignore the robot until you tell us your model and how much Ram you have?
then tell us the desptop sharing software you are trying to use... i'm guessing its something old?

I have a Lenovo Thinkpad T490, with 8GB Ram soldered and another 32GB chip added, both Samsung 2400Mhz. It usually happens when I'm using Zoom.

I have a Lenovo Thinkpad T490, with 8GB Ram soldered and another 32GB chip added, both Samsung 2400Mhz. It usually happens when I'm using Zoom.
It goes without saying, but have you run Lenovo Updates to make sure you have everything up to date, including as the bot said, the graphics drivers? It could be something that simple I suppose.

Regularly. The last time just a few days ago, although no driver updates have been suggested by the diagnostics tool. But the issue is older than that. It doesn't happen often, usually when I am sharing the screen for a longer time (>30min). It also usually happens when I have a lot of other windows open.

you understand that each window uses up Ram and Cpu + your integrated graphics also take up Ram | Cpu because its not a true card... imo you simply have the wrong tool for the job

you could try taking some of the pressure of with a good Capture Box but if having extra Windows open is the point then I'd upgrade the system to at least a Gtx 650

That's where I have trouble understanding the problem. The integrated card is an Intel UHD Graphics 620, my laptop also has a NVIDIA GeForce MX250 plugged in out of the box. Together they should have about 3GB of memory, shouldn't that be enough to manage a few windows plus screensharing?

That's where I have trouble understanding the problem. The integrated card is an Intel UHD Graphics 620, my laptop also has a NVIDIA GeForce MX250 plugged in out of the box. Together they should have about 3GB of memory, shouldn't that be enough to manage a few windows plus screensharing?
It should work but its possible Zoom is using more resources it did when the UHD Graphics 620/Intel 8th/9th gen came out and its hitting a roadblock somewhere.

Not sure if this will work but you could try:

Go to Settings -> Video -> Advanced Settings -> Video Rendering Method -> Switch from Auto to Direct3D9

Thx for the help. Going to try that out.
It should work but its possible Zoom is using more resources it did when the UHD Graphics 620/Intel 8th/9th gen came out and its hitting a roadblock somewhere.

Not sure if this will work but you could try:

Go to Settings -> Video -> Advanced Settings -> Video Rendering Method -> Switch from Auto to Direct3D9

Zoom is trash I have 12 core and 32GB of RAM on my work computer and zoom regularly degraded my system while in use.

i would not expect great things from your GeForce MX250... its basically a phone chip so honestly the Intel UHD Graphics 620 is prob better to run your zoom

the system uses one or the other for each task and every window you open is a new task

Back