Windows 7 Digital Camera

seekermeister

Honorable Member
Since it appears that my old camera has gone partially inop, I'm thinking of buying another. However I used the old one so little, that I didn't learn much that is of use in buying something else. I want one that is reliable as possible with a good warranty of a good name brand, at a price of ~$100.

There are so many variables to consider, I don't know where to start. One thing lacking in my old camera is a release cable, because the camera doesn't have any provision for attaching it...does any digital camera?

After only spending a couple of minutes scanning eBay returns, I came across this one:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Nikon-CoolP...451550?pt=Digital_Cameras&hash=item51b8b8859e

but can I do better?

EDIT: Another important factor for me is how to determine just how close the camera can be to the subject and focus properly? For instance, getting a clear shot of a small computer component.

Last edited:
I just received a response to this question, from the seller of that camera, which makes it sound as though it would be a waste of money for my intended purposed:

Basic point and shoot cameras such as this one are really not designed for close up type photography. You can get somewhat close to a subject and the picture will come out clear and focused. However if the camera is to be used for macro type close up photography, the pictures will not come out focused and clear consistently. Inexpensive point and shoot cameras can only do so much, and they are really designed as an expensive way to provide basic picture taking needs.

I sent another question asking what the least expensive camera would be that would work as needed, but while awaiting a response to that, I would truly like some input on the subject here.

If that page represents the prices to expect for a DSLR, then I can't justify the expense for my limited usage. I got another response for the previous dealer:

I would recommend either the new Nikon S3600 or S6800. These are the newest models available from Nikon and do provide some close up and macro. The quality will be better then the S3500 however it will still be difficult at times to receive true macro pictures. These models will give you a better chance on close up pictures.

I might be willing to pay $200 for a camera, but his usage of the word "chance" throws me. Obviously, it indicates that it will sometimes work, and at others not, but what is the variable factor(s) that that effect the odds. I do understand that with SLR and DSLR cameras, that lens designed for closeups are available, and with P&S there isn't, but what makes one P&S better than another for macros?

Last edited:
It is obvious that with that subject, you got a much better shot with the Fuji than with the Nikon, which seems ironic. Do you feel that the of quality with macros with the Fuji is consistent or is a the luck of the draw?

Those shots have just about convinced me to go with the Fuji, but all of the ads I've found on eBay seem to be from sellers that aren't authorized dealers, which Fuji requires to provide a 2 year warranty, which I want. I'll have to keep shopping with my fingers crossed, hoping to find an authorized dealer with a price I like.

Red...UGH!! $449.00...UGH, UGH!! Even if I found a black one on Amazon at the right price, I'm not sure that it would be covered warranty wise, because I have checked on the Fuji website, and they say nothing about who is an authorized dealer. Besides, many of the offers on Amazon are not actually sold by Amazon.

I just checked B&H, and they only offer the tan version. Curiously, the listing for the black one says that it has been discontinued. Their price for the tan is $249, which is pushing the limit of what I'm willing to pay.

Yes, you have been very helpful, thanks. I should also mention that I checked the Amazon listings and found it very curious that they want ~$250 more for the black than they do for the tan. Obviously, a lot of others feel the same as I do about the colors.

Last edited:
I see what you mean, but I'm looking at the line which says "Ships from and sold by Amazon.com", which I think makes Amazon the dealer, not Fuji. However, I've sent this question to Amazon for clarification.

EDIT: Amazon verified that they are an authorized dealer

Last edited:
I got another response from Amazon, regarding the differences in the red and black versions of the camera.
I've checked both of the cameras on our website, and I see they both have some differences. Here are their details:

For the black camera:

Technical Details

Brand Name: Fujifilm
Model: XF1 Black
Optical Sensor Resolution: 12 MP
Optical Sensor Technology: CMOS
Optical zoom: 4 x
Display Size: 3 inches
Viewfinder Type: LCD
Flash Memory Type: SD, SDHC, SDXC
Image Stabilization: Electronic

Item Weight: 49 hundredths-pounds
Item Width: 420 hundredths-inches
------------------------------------------------------------------
For the red camera:

Technical Details

Brand Name: Fujifilm
Model: XF1 Red
Optical Sensor Resolution: 12 MP
Optical Sensor Technology: CMOS
Optical zoom: 4 x
Display Size: 3 inches
Viewfinder Type: electronic viewfinder
Flash Memory Type: SD
Image Stabilization: Electronic

Item Weight: 130 hundredths-pounds
Item Width: 550 hundredths-inches

This rather confuses me, because the differences in viewfinders mentioned are not listed nor apparent on their website, yet there are differences in dimensions and weight:

Black

http://www.amazon.com/Fujifilm-XF1-Digital-Camera-Black/dp/B0095F5AFQ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1392043311&sr=8-1&keywords=fuji xf1 camera

Red

http://www.amazon.com/Fujifilm-XF1-Digital-Camera-Red/dp/B0095F5AG0/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1392043311&sr=8-2&keywords=fuji xf1 camera

I shall not pay the Amazon price for the black, but I might get one on eBay, if the differences are significant. Do you have any insight into this.

EDIT: :Looking at an eBay ad for the black, they show entirely different dimensions and weight for the camera than Amazon does. I have no idea of what is going on here?

Last edited:

Last edited:
I called Fuji support, so I think I now have all my questions answered, but since the red one is the only one that I can afford, I'm still hem hawing around somewhat. The rep said that he is planning to change the black cover on his to a red one, but when I asked if I could get a black one to replace the red, he said no. I guess I could buy some material and make my own, but I would need the old one for a pattern, and I imagine it wouldn't be easy to remove intact and without stretching.

Last edited:
Back