Windows 7 Digital Camera

That makes sense, but I don't anticipate traveling with it, therefore grab and go isn't an issue. Only size, protection and organization.

My mind keeps jumping back and forth between one of the GorillaPod versions and the BEXIN M225S. The thing about the GorillaPod that I find difficult to evaluate is that while it's spidery legs would provide a clear advantage in some circumstances, especially when setting it up to some object that they could be wrapped around, all those joints also provide weak spots which might cause the camera to move just by touching it with too much pressure. If one were to opt for the top line model (GorillaPod Focus), the ($140) cost with the ball head is much higher than any conventional mini tripod.

Even the Bexin is expensive ($59) compared to other similar tripods, but it does look stronger, and the max load (5KG) is equal to the GorillaPod Focus. If I anticipated using a tripod outdoors where wrapping the legs around something might be a factor, I might consider it as a better candidate, but I don't.

Is there something else about the GorillaPods that I'm overlooking?

You dont need a ballhead. The gorillapod slr-zoom is already an overkill for a point and shoot camera which is the one I have right now. You can buy a cheaper ballhead add-on later if you really need one. The XF1 is not even half a kilo in weight. There is a dedicated gorillapod for point & shoot. Smaller version. The hybrid is more than enough.

header.png

Last edited:
The decision would be easier if I could do a hands on evaluation, but I can't. The only reason that I don't order the Bexin is that it is a brand new product, apparently only released in February this year, and is only available by ordering from Hong Kong, which I don't like this idea of. If I do buy the GorillaPod, I will order a ballhead with it. It may not be necessary, but it is the only way that I can imagine being able to place a camera in any position I might want.

it is the only way that I can imagine being able to place a camera in any position I might want.
the gorillapod is flexible enough to position the camera in any way. The ballhead is only necessary for bigger cameras to counter the body weight of the dslr (the lens to be exact) while positioning it. You cannot do proper evaluation on the ballhead using a point and shoot.

the gorillapod is flexible enough to position the camera in any way.
This is the concept that I fail to understand, because if I wanted to position the camera straight down vertically, without a ballhead, that would appear to put the camera further off the center of gravity of the tripod than it would with the ballhead. I understand that would be a greater factor with a heavier camera, but with the way that I imagine that it would distort the legs, it would be tipsy even with a light camera.

You cannot do proper evaluation on the ballhead using a point and shoot.
That may be so, but an improper evaluation is better than none at all.

I just went back through this thread looking for something that we discussed before, but I found that almost all of your older posts had been replaced with nothing more than a line of "............................................................................". Is that something you or the forum did?

Also, as I mentioned previously, I purchased a couple of sheets of the carbon fiber that you suggested, but for different purposes. One little project is that I want to use it to cover a vinyl clad piece of particle board that forms the top shelf of my HTPC cabinet, but the ad said that it would require using some other adhesive for porous surfaces, which the bottom and a rear edge I intend to cut are. I imagine that a lot of adhesives will do the job, but trial and error leaves room for failure. The ad made no recommendation as to which adhesive to use, and it probably isn't a question that you can answer, but then...can you?

That is when creativity comes into play. As I said, it is flexible, it can do anything you want it to do. Even hang upside down on a tree. It's no use to buy a good looking tripod that is limited to a vertical position.

IMAG3123.jpg

And believe me, it is not flimsy even with a DSLR.

IMAG3124.jpg

Last edited:
Okay, the tripod is on order (JB01136-CEN). The ballhead will have to wait until I have something to bundle it with to save on the shipping.

Since the SD chip I have has 32GBs of capacity (6489 shots), is more than I'm likely to use very soon, a thought crossed my mind...what if I stored non-image files on it...would it harm anything? Could I partition a portion of it on the PC for this purpose and have the camera use the remainder?

Có, bạn rất hữu ích, cam on. Tôi tốt và sẽ được đề cập rằng tôi kiểm tra danh sách Amazon và thấy nó rất Mo rằng họ muốn nhiều hơn một lần nữa ~ 250 $ màu sắc cho đen hơn là cho tan. Không rõ ràng, nhiều người khác cam thấy như gi lam tôi đến màu sắc

Though I served a year in Vietnam I, and I imagine very few others on the forum read Vietnamese. I used Google Translate and now understand the gist of your post, but you really should post only in English.

EDIT: Since it appears that you believe that Amazon raised the price, I rechecked the ad for it:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0095F5AFQ/ref=oh_details_o04_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

And found it still listed for $199.00. Either you looked at the price listed as savings, or you looked at a listing designed for some other country, but the latter doesn't make much sense, because it also says:

Shipping: Currently, item can be shipped only within the U.S.

Last edited:
Since the SD chip I have has 32GBs of capacity (6489 shots), is more than I'm likely to use very soon, a thought crossed my mind...what if I stored non-image files on it...would it harm anything? Could I partition a portion of it on the PC for this purpose and have the camera use the remainder?

Your files should be okay but I would not recommend doing it. USB flashdrives are cheap.

Though I served a year in Vietnam I, and I imagine very few others on the forum read Vietnamese. I used Google Translate and now understand the gist of your post, but you really should post only in English.

EDIT: Since it appears that you believe that Amazon raised the price, I rechecked the ad for it:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0095F5AFQ/ref=oh_details_o04_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

And found it still listed for $199.00. Either you looked at the price listed as savings, or you looked at a listing designed for some other country, but the latter doesn't make much sense, because it also says:

You are talking to a "bot". He just repeated what you said on your post #14,

The Gorillapod and ball head arrived today, so now I can start experimenting with them...after I finish customizing the case for the camera and everything else.

Back
Top Bottom