Windows 7 DirectX 10 vs Directx 10.1

cybercore

DirectX 10 vs Directx 10.1

Link Removed - Invalid URL

DirectX 10.1:

- improved access to shader resources - In particular, this involves better control when reading back samples from multi-sample anti-aliasing. In conjunction with this, the ability to create customised downsampling filters will be available in DirectX 10.1

- the introduction of 32-bit floating-point filtering over the 16-bit filtering

- floating point blending - New formats for render targets which support blending will be available in this iteration of the API, and render targets can now be blended independently of one another

- cube mapping, gets its own changes which should help with performance, in the form of the ability to use an indexable array for handling cube maps

- DirectX 10.1 will allow for higher performance in multi-core systems, which is certainly good news for the ever growing numbers of dual-core users out there. The number of calls to the API when drawing and rendering reflections and refractions (two commonly used features in modern game titles) has been reduced in Direct3D 10.1, which should also make for some rather nice performance boosts

- DirectX 10.1 give the application control over the pixel coverage mask, a mask which is used to help to quickly approximate sampling for an area of pixels. This in particular should prove to be a boon when anti-aliasing particles, vegetation, scenes with motion blur and the like. All of this additional control handed to the application could allow for anti-aliasing to be used much more wisely and effectively, and controlled by game developers themselves, rather than the current 'all or nothing' implementation available, which basically amounts to a simple on-off switch

Link Removed - Invalid URL

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you Radenight, and hope that it is no problem because sometimes a short video does for a thousand words.

I'd just like to ask a question in regards to the performance gain....so here goes...

Given that card supporting Dx10.1 are of a newer build I would have thought there has been a slight amount of scaling of components and bandwidths etc compared to older dx10 variations of the same models (if there is such a thing), so here what I want to know....is it actually the API of 10.1 thats giving the bulk of the increase in performance OR it a smokescreen for the fact that the cards that use 10.1 are ever so slightly better optimised in hardware itself???

I'd just like to ask a question in regards to the performance gain....so here goes...so here what I want to know....is it actually the API of 10.1 thats giving the bulk of the increase in performance OR it a smokescreen for the fact that the cards that use 10.1 are ever so slightly better optimised in hardware itself???

The API of DirectX 10.1 DOES give the bulk of the increase in performance, but the built-in DirectX 10.1 api DOES NOT work automatically. A number of games use this advantage.

Code:
http://www.shacknews.com/onearticle.x/54373

ati_example.jpg

To put it shorter, DirectX 10.1 is an advantage, DirectX 10.1 is a part of DirectX 11 too, but it does not overwhelmingly enhance the speed or the quality.

Back