Windows 7 DirectX Installation Not Progressing

Ry Leo

Hi, I would like to ask if there is a solution for my current problem. I wanted to install DirectX on my PC but when I waited for it to complete, it stubbornly refused to progress. That means that when I launched it this morning, it successfully started the installation progress but got stuck around 55% (see snapshot), even though I waited (maybe) 4-5 hours (I started it when I went out this morning and did not shut it). As for source of the file, I got it from Steam. It also came as a requirement to launch and play Moonbase Alpha. I force ended the process in Task Manager but it still did not work when I restarted the installation.

System specs:
System manufacturer: Dell
Processor: AMD Athlon(tm) II X4 620 Processor 2.60 GHz
Installed RAM: 4.00 GB (3.50 GB Usable)
System type: 64-bit Operatins System
Pen and Touch: N/A

OS details:
Service Pack: Service Pack 1

If anyone wants more details, I can gladly provide it.

Hi,
can you post what graphics card you have please as well as the driver.

Direct X is installed on every version of Windows. The highest available version of Direct X for Windows 7 SP1 is 11.1

Hi, all. I got more data from Steam's build-in system info identifier.
Video Card:
Driver: AMD 760G (Microsoft Corporation WDDM 1.1)

DirectX Driver Name: atiumdag.dll
Driver Version: 8.56.1.16
DirectX Driver Version: 8.14.10.630
Driver Date: 25 Apr 2009
OpenGL Version: 1.1
Desktop Color Depth: 32 bits per pixel
Monitor Refresh Rate: 59 Hz
DirectX Card: AMD 760G (Microsoft Corporation WDDM 1.1)
VendorID: 0x1002
Revision Not Detected
Number of Monitors: 1
Number of Logical Video Cards: 1
No SLI or Crossfire Detected
Primary Display Resolution: 1440 x 900
Desktop Resolution: 1440 x 900
Primary Display Size: 20.00" x 12.52" (23.58" diag)
50.8cm x 31.8cm (59.9cm diag)
Primary Bus Type Not Detected
Primary VRAM: 512 MB
Supported MSAA Modes: 2x 4x

Note that the DirectX installation date is 25th April 2009. Is it because the driver is too old that I need to update it? If so, should I clean my PC of all DirectX drivers first then install the updated version? Let me know what you think. Thanks!

Note that the DirectX installation date is 25th April 2009. Is it because the driver is too old that I need to update it? If so, should I clean my PC of all DirectX drivers first then install the updated version? Let me know what you think. Thanks!
The date can be misleading but it's a windows method to make sure it updates correctly ( Microsoft drivers will date from either 2009 or 2006 )

Your gpu solution is only capable of DX10.1 and probably uses a legacy driver?
The 760G is designed to compete against the GeForce 8100 and the Intel G41, both value-minded, integrated chipsets.

The key here is the DirectX 10.1 compatibility, the baseline for the cutting-edge graphics that the latest games deliver. Even if this platform is designed to run Far Cry 2 (and what is?) at least some of the effects that DirectX 10 games can take advantage of will be supported.
Reference

I checked AMD's support page and the actual driver is here:
Legacy

Try removing your existing driver using the DDU or Display Driver Uninstaller as this will remove not only the driver but any corruption which may be around. Your best using the DDU in safe mode:
Display Driver Uninstaller (DDU) V17.0.6.5 Released. - Wagnardsoft Forum

Once clean and back in Windows, install the legacy driver linked to above.

Back
Top Bottom