Windows 10 Disk Drive Not Showing Up -Windows 10

Austin Casey

I'm using a Lenovo G500 laptop. I'm not sure what is going on but more often than not the CD/DVD drive is not showing up under "Devices and Drives". It does sometimes after I restart the laptop but it seems very random. I created a CD drive shortcut on the desktop hoping that would work. The last time I restarted my laptop the CD drive didn't show up so I tried clicking on the shortcut but it said "The item that this shortcut refers to has been changed or moved". Needless to say I haven't changed it or moved it all. This is very frustrating as it seems to have no pattern and I can't find any reliable answers about fixing the issue. I've been having several other issues with Windows 10 (and my laptop) but this is one that I feel should be easily fixed or at least explained. Any help at all would be much appreciated. Thank you

Hi Austin,
sometimes an upgrade can mess with stuff like shortcuts so try deleting it and recreating another. As to why the actual disk drive itself isn't showing up could again have something to do with the upgrade. Did you run Windows update to get the day 1 patch? Also Microsoft release another patch yesterday so do try running Windows update and see if they help any.

Hi Austin,
sometimes an upgrade can mess with stuff like shortcuts so try deleting it and recreating another. As to why the actual disk drive itself isn't showing up could again have something to do with the upgrade. Did you run Windows update to get the day 1 patch? Also Microsoft release another patch yesterday so do try running Windows update and see if they help any.
I just performed an update and I see the DVD drive now. I'll have to wait to see when I get back home and restart my laptop to see if it's still there. Hopefully this is a permanent fix. Thanks for the advice!

Back