Windows 7 Drag and Drop in Windows 7 does not function...

Harish Pakala

Hi everyone.. Thank you for having a look at this question... I have a Dell Studio laptop which has 4GB ram and a core 2 duo processor with a Windows 7 OS.. The problem with this laptop is that, I am not able to drag and drop icons on the desktop nor in the folders... Drag and Drop never functions.. I feel convinient using Drag and drop and now this is a big nuisance for me as I am not able to freely move my desktop icons nor drag and drop the files into folders as and when required.. I also unchecked the auto arrange Desktop in the context menu.. I tried in Safe Mode.. I used a bunch of Registry cleaners, C Cleaners and what not everything.. But I am not able to solve this problem.. Can you please let me know how I should solve this problem...

Also I also have another problem during the Startup of my computer.. Once I start my computer and once all Icons and taskbar come , I try to open any application or any program like IE or Firefox and when I open it, the windows freezes and says not responding.. I try opening "Task Manager " from the Task Bar and and even right click does'nt function... Hence , I feel as if everything freezes up and so I need to hit "Alt+Ctlrl+Del" for opening Taskmanager.. This sounds very wierd for me as I have to do this same operation every time..My configuration is above mentioned and I also share this little info with you.. My hard Disk memory usage is about 268Gb of 280Gb with a single partiotion. Can it be the possible reason for this sluggish nature... I am eagerly waiting for the reply.. I would be very happy for the reply I get.. Thanks in advance...:redface::redface::redface:

I would say it's possible that your rather full hard drive could be the cause of both problems. Windows needs around 25% of the partition to be free to work effectively. I would either delete or move files to reclaim space and I'd also be careful using Registry cleaners. Windows doesn't really need the registry cleaning and is best well left alone.

Hiii Kemical,

Thanks for the kind reply... I have just reviewed the reply which you have sent... I am happy for the reply.. But because some say Registry Cleaners could fix such problems, I tried using Registry cleaners like C Cleaner, Tune Up utilities and some other.. I shall try to clear some memory from it so that 70Gb of free space will be left over... But what is your advice on Partitioning of hard drive into 2 or 3 drives.. Will that improve the overall performance of the Computer and the problem of Startup Sluggishness which I mentioned before..
And regarding the problem with Drag and Drop of icons, how is the memory affect the drag and drop of icons.. Can it be with any other problem.. I use Microsoft Security Essentials.. I scanned it and found that there is no Virus in it.. Is there any other fix for it.. Either Registry or someother.. I used "Sfc/Scannow", but in vain.. It says there is no problem with the Integrity.. Can I know any other ways of fixing this issue as I feel more convinient using this Drag and Drop of icons and also for files and folders... Eagerly waiting for your reply.. Thanks in Advance "Kemical"!!!!:redface: :)

Hi Harish,
regardless of partition size or number if at least 25% isn't free space then windows will struggle. This means page files, shadowstorage and virtual memory can all be affected. As a rule I try to keep my drives at least 50% free so they run as fast as possible but that's down to a personal choice.
Why not invest in a usb HDD and back some data up?

Hii Kemical,

Thanks for the kind reply... I shall use a back up Drive so that I can put all the data I need in that drive and I can then perform a "Repair Install" so that all the Windows files get reinstalled and even if my personal data get erased I can use the backup and retrieve the data back.. Thanks for the kind replies..:) Link Removed due to 404 Error I suppose partitioning of Hard Drives is a better option? Does it really boost the performance of the computer?? Thanks anyways in advance...

Harish.

I guess you could run 2 partitions on the 280GB drive and as long as you left plenty of space as discussed above you would be fine. This would mean total loss of data though so backing up is essential.

Hi Harish,
regardless of partition size or number if at least 25% isn't free space then windows will struggle. This means page files, shadowstorage and virtual memory can all be affected. As a rule I try to keep my drives at least 50% free so they run as fast as possible but that's down to a personal choice.
Why not invest in a usb HDD and back some data up?

Good advice kemical and if I may add;
The use of a second drive and placing your Page File on that drive, will increase performance over time.
Also placing the User accounts, ie; Music, Video, Downloads and Data on the second drive helps.
I've been doing it this way for years and my OS's run very smooth.

Here's a couple articles with info on the advantages of the Page File on a separate drive;
Link Removed - Invalid URL
Link Removed due to 404 Error

Setting up the User Accounts involves a Registry Edit, so if you decide to go forward, please back it up first.

Open regedit by clicking the start button and type "regedit" (without the quotes) into run and click ok.

Navigate to: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\ProfileList
and select that folder.
On the right side you will see %SystemDrive%\Users

Double click that entry and edit it to the drive you want the new User account on. Example would be D:\Users
Before
After

Close regedit.

Open the drive you set the User account to and make a new folder called "Users". Not sure if you have to do this, but I don't want to give Vista a chance to goof this.
Go to Control Panel, then to User Accounts and create a new account. You can either log off or reboot the system. The new user account will be available at this point. Simply log into that account and let Vista do the rest. The entire User account will now be on the drive you set it to.
There are several benefits to having your user account on a separate drive then Vista.
Less data on the OS drive to help the system run faster.
Less fragmentation to the OS drive.
You don't have to edit the properties of each User sub folder, such as Documents, Pictures, Music, etc... to another drive for those of you who do this and those that should (when you have another drive to do this).
This also moves all your temp file settings for the user to that drive, including Internet Explorer cache files. I personally noticed faster web surfing with this.
This also saves all your user file data in case of a OS drive crash, including Windows Mail email files.

Hope you find this useful,

Don

Back