Drive C: showing nearly full

Hello All, I am using win 7 64 installed on a 240gb ssd It has suddenly started showing nearly full. I don't keep any data on the drive just programs and if I add up the contents of the folders (not hidden)it only comes to 35 gb, how can I check what it filling up my drive ?

Joe S

Excellent Member
Have you tried running Disk Cleanup? How much space do you allow for System Restore? It may be filling up with restore points.
Joe

Hello I have run disk cleanup it got me 20mb I can't see where I setup system restore

Joe S

Excellent Member
look in the Control Panel at Systems then System Protection and configure there is a slider there to control the amount of space it uses.
Joe

What brand of SSD is it, make and model? There might be a diagnostic tool or even a firmware update for your drive.

Hello, the system restore got me 7gb back my drive is an OCZ vertex 3. I have turned on hidden files and noticed that there are two files on my root C: directory hiberfil.sys using 19 gb and pagefile.sys using 25 gb

You could try running chkdsk to see if there are lost clusters taking up space and not being accounted for.
Checks the file system and file system metadata of a volume for logical and physical errors. If used without parameters, chkdsk displays only the status of the volume and does not fix any errors. If used with the /f, /r, /x, or /b parameters, it fixes errors on the volume.
This app may help you find which files are using all your space. - WinDirStat (Windows Directory Statistics)
WinDirStat is a disk usage statistics viewer and cleanup tool for various versions of Microsoft Windows.

This website is not affiliated, owned, or endorsed by Microsoft Corporation. It is a member of the Microsoft Partner Program.