Windows 10 Driver crash from time to time when turning on monitor from OFF during 3dmark stress test.

sew333

Hi. I tried to reproduce 2 times display driver crash. When i run 3dmark time spy stress test. I turn off monitor and then turn on again it will stop test and display TDR crash report in event viewer. Is this reason to worry? This happened 2 times when i turn off montor and turn on back. I tried to reproduce this more than 2 times,and no crash. Yes test will stop , but no TDR driver crash. Weird.

PC: 6700K stock
16GB DDR4
Asus Z170-P
Corsair 750 RM
1080 Ti Fe stock No oc.

Screen from event viewer:
image.jpg

When i tried to reproduce driver crash i cant. It happened only 2 times.

Any ideas why it crashed driver only 2 times during this? Why it doesn't happen everytime during this? ( TDR )

My monitor: iiyama red eagle g-master gb2488hsu-b3

If i dont turn off monitor test will run non stop even 24 hours without crash.

Monitor is plugged by display port cable to display port.

Hi,
TDR's can be caused by almost anything and it may not not be down to one single cause. Usually your best bet is to clean the system using something like the DDU or Display driver Uninstaller.

This when used in safe mode will not only remove the gpu driver but any associated corruption from previous driver installs.

Why are you turning the monitor off during benching? This is probably why 3Dmark stops and the machine isn't happy.

You can of course upload the dump files associated with the blue screen and we'll read them for you.

Last edited:
So its hardware issue or its a software/driver problem? If i have sometimes TDR after turning on monitor, when test abort.

I have sometimes TDR log in event log after turning on monitor when test abort in 3dmark.

During tests and 3d load i dont have tdrs and is all stable.

TDR's are almost always caused by software/drivers.

So finally last question. So if i have sometimes TDR log in event log after turning on monitor when test abort its not hardware fault?

You turn on the monitor after the test was aborted?

I don't understand what you mean by this?

In any case TDR's are usually caused by the graphics driver itself and using the DDU as described above should help.

Its something like this. I start 3dmark test,test is running,then i turn off monitor. When i turn on monitor test is aborting automatically. And then sometimes ( sometimes not ) TDR crash is on event logs.

When i dont turn off monitor it will never stop and never TDR.

I wouldn't worry about it as it's something your doing and not a normal process. Turning the monitor on and off will mess with the benching and it's probably best if you don't do it.

When i dont turn off monitor it will never stop and never TDR.
If this is the case then don't worry. Your machine sounds fine, just don't turn the monitor off and on during testing.. :)

When i tried to reproduce driver crash i cant. It happened only 2 times. I run benchmark 2 times, turned off monitor, turned back on, test stopped and driver crashed.
On 3,4,5 time, test only stopped,but driver not crashed. Any ideas? Should i be worried?

It doesn't happen everytime ( TDR ). One time it crash driver,second time not after turning on monitor during test.

Can you explain me this why it is random?? And dont worry ?

Your looking for issues where there aren't any.

It isn't normal for the monitor to be turned off during benching which is why the test stops.

The fact you don't get a TDR every time shows that your system is probably in good order and i would stop turning the monitor off and on when benching, your machine obviously doesn't like it.

Ok sorry for my language dear kemical. I hope you understand. The fact is that i don't get a TDR every time after turning on monitor when the test stop . Its very random. Anyway dont worry about this?
No reason to search for problems? It TDR at random times just when i turn on monitor during test. Test will stop and sometimes tdr will show in event logs. Thats all. Not hardware issue? Its last question. Thank you .!

It sounds like the TDR is being caused by you turning the monitor off and on. As I said the fact it doesn't happen every time probably means your system is in good order.
Lastly, no its not a hardware issue. If you stop turning the monitor off and on during testing then the issue will stop.

Yes you understand dear kemical correctly. Everytime when i turn off monitor and after turn on 3dmark test will abort and stop. And then TDR will occur just sometimes in event logs but,not always. thats all. So dont worry about this? In normal use i dont have any TDRs.

OK kemical. I will be very greatful for answer . Somebody said this:

"A BSOD is not likely the game itself, it's likely a driver issue. If you get the code:

Looks like - 0x00PrimeExample (0x000000example, 0x000000example, 0x000000example, 0x000000example)

The first part before the parenthesis, you should google it. It will tell you exactly why you are getting a BSOD. BSOD are universally hardware related, they are bad drivers for hardware, they are bad hardware, they are memory dumps or RAM failures. No one programs, either on purpose or by accident, a BSOD."

So its always hardware issue or not always?Thank you :)

So its always hardware issue or not always?Thank you
See post #12

You are creating the issue by turning the monitor off and on again, stop it and the issue will stop.

Why is this so hard to understand?

Hello. I am writing from work now,heh. Little update. I updated to 388.13 drivers and try to simulate again driver crash. So i run test with monitor off and then turn on. The same situation. Test aborted,and driver crash. Thats all. During tests or playinggames i dont have driver crashes. So this is not issue with hardware? Thank you. I apologize for my bad language.

There is no problem.

Monitor isn't supposed to be turned off or on during the test as this will break the test.

If you keep repeating this process chances are you'll end up actually doing some damage even if it's simply corrupting a few files so I'd stop the practice.

Anytime there is a system crash there's always a chance some corruption may set in because the machine isn't shutting down correctly.

Back