Windows 7 Driver problem won't allow me to upgrade to 7?

Guldan

I am upgrading RC to RTM and it says

The following issues are preventing Windows from upgrading. Cancel the upgrade, complete each task, and then restart the upgrade to continue:

Storage controllers: AMD AHCI Compatible RAID Controller

My controller is 100% up to date and functioning fine.. Am I just going to have to fresh install?

Same problem here - any fixes yet?

Same [problem here , any fixes yet?

Last edited by a moderator:
The new OS is deciding for whatever reason that your driver will not play nice with W7. Seeing how it is working now i'm sure it's frustrating but, there is no way in my knowledge to override this. Others may have an idea?

If you do turn to a clean install (my recommendation )be sure to copy the driver files for your SATA? controller to a medium you can access during installation since windows may not have a driver for your device, there is a prompt at the beginning of a custom installation for additional drivers.

The weird thing is that with a clean install i use the same drivers (latest 9.8 AMD raid drivers) without windows complaining and it works with no problem. I guess it does not do a compatibility check when doing a clean install.
If we can somehow stop/override the compatibility check during the forced upgrade we should be in the clear...

I use a raid0 setup so have no choice to use the AMD raid drivers or can the standard windows drivers also used with raid?

I'm finding that the current RAID drivers for AMD (1540.127) are not liked by 7 and I have to install them using the 'have disk' method. Obviously this means I have to use a different version to get the drives 'seen' when doing a fresh install.
The version I use is 1540.35 and they go on no problem and like I said, once I've finished the os install I then upgrade the drivers to the latest versions using the method I described above... I hope this is some help...
Lets hope that AMD gets the driver 'infs' sorted soon....

I did a fresh install with AMD (1540.127) divers on raid0 - no probs there. Just load the drivers from a USB stick/cd when given the option. The issue is that we cannot get past the compatibility check during an upgrade... It just ends the upgrade with the message :

The following issues are preventing Windows from upgrading. Cancel the upgrade, complete each task, and then restart the upgrade to continue:

Storage controllers: AMD AHCI Compatible RAID Controller

I cannot go without the AMD AHCI/raid driver with a RAID0 setup.

Yup, it's weird...some can use em some can't... Why not try with an earlier driver and then upgrade like I do at a later point

Is there any slipstreaming capability with this new OS I wonder. That would probably work but you would have to adopt an old XP or vista slipstreaming technique. I don't feel qualified to try to tell you how but maybe someone with a proven technique will see this or maybe you can google up something close enough to try.

Windows 7 Upgrade failure

Hi, first post. Having spent most of today trying to upgrade my Vista Home Premium to Windows 7. I am almost pleased to see others with the same problem. I also have "Storage Controllers: AMD AHCI Compatable RAID Controller" install updated drivers, message during Combatibility test from 32bit upgrade DVD.

I am also then told by the device manager that drivers are up to date and Vista works without problem. Every driver I try is met with the same answer. The upgrade cannot then go ahead and I have to restart each time reaching the same point. - Has Windows 7 not been out on test in various formats for many months? Where do we go from here?

I am loathed to do a clean install and find there are more issues when that starts.

Hi,
I would do a clean install if you can but when it comes to installing the RAID drivers, use these:

RAIDatiSB600_Vista.zip - Free software downloads and software reviews - CNET Download.com

They say they are for Asus but work perfectly fine and I've been using them for ages.. Once you've installed the os you can then manually install the latest versions (1540.127,... these are actually good drivers with great performance but if you have a SB600 Southbridge like I have then they are a pain to install). I have to go through this process as my set-up or 7 won't recognise the new drivers.
I'm actually talking to AMD devs at the moment trying to get these drivers sorted out.. As soon as I've got any news I'll post but for now try the above..

Can someone pse assist ???
Prior to upgrading from Vista HP to W7 HP I have run the Upgrade Adviser ex Micrososft : All checked out as compatible except a driver for my HP 1005 printer ( which I have a Vista compatible driver for , and guess I can get this to work in W7)
So inserted the upgrade disc and this then checked for Compatibility .........blocked installation and told me to delete AVG Anti virus( indicated with a X )which I did .
Also mentioned other driver compatibility to update drivers ( done this and all my drivers are up to date )and to deautharise ITunes which I also did and started the installation again .
Same story ..even though AVG is not on my system and deleted , still saying I have to uninstall AVG.
Think it is only this from preventing the install
Can anyone kindly assist as to what to do ????

Still no Luck with Windows 7

Hi Kemical,

Many thanks for the information but things have got worse. I decided to go with custom install on my Dell Inspiron 1721 AMD Turion64)after the upgrade stopping at the Update Drivers for Storage Controllers: AMD RAID Console. Booted Disk up from within Vista asked to install on partition C ok fist shut down and restart. Then asked again if I wanted a custom install, language window, then it reached a window "Where do you want to install windows" "No drivers were found. Load drivers to provide mass storage drive for installation"

On the usb drive I had the downloaded drivers you suggested:
ATI AHCI Compatable Raid controller (C:\RaidatisB600_Vista.X86
ATI RAID Console (C:\RaidatiSB600_Vista\x86\AHCIx86s.inf

The fist does nothing the second causes the green progress bar to indicate it is working but once it carried on trying 50 minutes the three other times it freezes. I then have to crash the install and start again. Am I just being totally stupid and can I get this sorted with different drivers. Any advice please. I cannot even get back to Vista. it was running with Vista:confused:

Ok...I didn't actually realise you were using a laptop till now lol..try these instead.. They are for vista but should be fine..

Link Removed - Invalid URL

If you have Alcohol 120%, Deamon Tools, or any other virtual drive software installed, try uninstalling them before trying to install 7. I had a problem with an IDE Controller driver that was caused by Alcohol 120%.

There is supposed to be a "Disable Driver Signature Enforcement" option in the advanced startup options. I have not tried to use it so I can't explain how.

Back