Windows 7 Dual boot Win 7 and Ubuntu

zavier

Extraordinary Member
I have a Dell desktop and I am currently running Windows 7 and I would like to install Ubuntu on separate hard drive in same computer. My question is, when I install Ubuntu, do I keep Win 7 hard drive plugged in or do I remove it.
Thanks
Zavier

That is not an issue. There is another problem:
if Windows is on one disk and Ubuntu on another how will you choose between them without entering the BIOS/UEFI and modifying the boot sequence?
Do you have another way of choosing between them when you start your computer?

If not with dual boot, (using the Ubuntu Grub) I do not have another way to choose between Win 7 or Ubuntu when computer starts. But, basically my idea is to prepare when in 2020 Microsoft would not issue anymore security updates. By then, I would not use Win 7 to access the internet. The OS would be used to generate documents via Word etc. Ubuntu on the other hand would be my OS to search/access the Internet.
If you have any ideas on how to use Win 7 off-line on one hard drive and another OS (with security updates) on the other hard drive let me know. I like separate hard drives so the Win 7 would not be infected with viruses..etc
Thanks
Zavier

DUAL BOOT is when both Windows and Ubuntu are on the same disk, not on separate disks.

OK, I guess it doesn't matter if they call it dual boot as well.
If it works, then that's great.

Well dual boot is when you can boot to more than one OS on a system. The fact that it's on separate disks is irreverent. Typically you would leave the Windows disk in when installing your Linux distro. You can choose to install grub on either hard drive. If you install it on the same drive that Windows is on you won't have to select the boot device to get to Linux. If grub is installed on the same disk that Linux is on then you would have to select the disk.

Back
Top Bottom