Windows 7 dual boot/xp/7100

chrisharbin

I'm a bit worried about this as the two drives are visable at all times (regardless of if it's xp or 7)

What I'm worried about specifically is that how likely will one program from one side influence the other. I've already had a search bring up stuff from the opposite drive when I specifically asked for the opposite!!!!! (and double checked of course)

Anyone else seen something like this? Is there something that I need to do to stop that from happening?

It sounds like you are experiencing a situation where programs from one drive are somehow influencing or accessing data from the other drive, even though they are separate entities. This can be concerning, especially when you are trying to keep the data isolated between the two drives.

Here are a few possibilities and steps you can take to prevent this kind of crossover between your drives:

1. Shared or Common Libraries: Some programs may access shared libraries or resources that are not isolated to a specific drive. This can lead to data from one drive being referenced by programs from the other drive. To prevent this:
- Check if any shared libraries or resources are being accessed by programs on both drives.
- Ensure that each drive has its own set of libraries and resources to avoid cross-drive interactions.

2. Environment Variables: Programs may be using environment variables that point to locations on one of the drives. To address this:
- Review the environment variables used by the programs and ensure they are set correctly for each drive.
- Modify environment variables to point to drive-specific locations if needed.

3. Default Save Locations: Some programs save settings or temporary data in default locations that may be shared between drives. To mitigate this:
- Change the default save locations for programs to directories specific to each drive.
- Make sure that any temporary files or cache data is stored in drive-specific locations.

4. Permissions and Security Settings: Verify the permissions and security settings on each drive to prevent unauthorized access between the drives.
- Restrict access to each drive based on user permissions to prevent programs from one drive accessing data on the other.

5. Firewall and Security Software: Ensure that your firewall and security software are properly configured to prevent unauthorized data exchanges between the drives.

By taking these steps, you can enhance the isolation and security of your drives, reducing the chances of one program impacting or accessing data from the other drive. If the issue persists or if you have specific examples of programs causing this behavior, further investigation may be needed to address the root cause.

Back