Windows 7 DVD Drives don't work

RonInOttawa

Hi there;

My DVD drives (LG GSA-H55L DVD and Pioneer DVR-106D) don't work after installing Windows 7 x-32 RTM. Both worked fine under Vista and obviously worked during the install.

They don't show up in Windows Explorer and in Device Manager they have that nice little Exclamation point in the Icon. The error says "Windows cannot start this hardware device because its configuration information (in the registry) is incomplete or damaged. (Code 19)"

The installed driver for both drives is from Microsoft and dated 2006-06-21 version 6.1.7600.16385 which leads me to believe this is an XP driver. Uninstalling and letting the PnP find it and install the drivers reinstalls the same driver. Doing and Update driver tells me I have the latest one. All of those online Driver Scams identify other drivers as being depricated, but they all say my DVD drivers are okay.

Any ideas how to fix this?

Any help much appreciated.

Cheers.
Ron...

Hello and welcome to the windows7forums.

Was this an upgrade or a "clean" install.

We always recommend a "clean" install to remove everything from the XP installation.

It was an upgrade from Windows Vista Ultimate x-32.

I normally do clean installs except from this specific PC, if I did I'd have to spend 2~3 weeks re-installing software and most likely would not be able to find the keys for a lot if it .

It was an upgrade from Windows Vista Ultimate x-32.

I normally do clean installs except from this specific PC, if I did I'd have to spend 2~3 weeks re-installing software and most likely would not be able to find the keys for a lot if it .[/QUOTE]

Sorry Ron, but that's what happens when you upgrade.

You applications will probably not work anyway because they are no references to them in the registry.

A handy free password Manager is available here. It's been a lifesaver for me.

Link Removed - Invalid URL

Although the link was useful in showing me how to use the new Fix-It, it's built the online one doesn't work. It does nothing that I haven't done manually - It uninstalls the drive and reinstalls it and fails. Then it tells you to seek help from other users online - Pretty good Microsoft - Push fixing your issues onto the user community.

BTW - The installed driver is indeed the Windows 7 driver - I check thye Driver folder in the Windows 7 directory.

Still stuck :eek:

Were you looking at the cdrom.sys driver or the cdfs.sys driver?as mentioned in your first post?

The version mentioned in my first post is what Device Manager told me. The latest post confirmed that my looking at the properties of cdrom.sys in the windows\system32\Drivers folder the one i Windows.old is the old Win XP driver

My driver version of cdfs is 6.1700.13 (winmaiw_win7rc o04030-1445

Cdfs.sys is 6.17.000 (winmain_win7rd 094021-1700.

Gotta say, I love your license plant BTW.

So you're saying that you are using the cdfs driver instead of the cdrom driver?

The cdfs is a type of file system used by CD's and DVD's.

For example your hard drive is most like uses the NTFS file system.

The cdrom.sys is the file system driver used by the cdfs file system.

I Googled What is cdrom.sys and came up with many hits with people with the same problem.

Here's a Microsoft Knowledge Base article that might work.

Create a restore point first:

Link Removed - Invalid URL

If that doesn't work, do the same Google search and look over the posts for an answer.

Also, in Device Manager, right-click on the ones with the yellow flag and choose ininstall

Then reboot your computer and see if Windows now installs the driver.

Last edited:
WOW! - My drives are back.

Funny thing, before posting to this forum yesterday, I Googled my problem and was provided a Registry Hack to delete the Upper/Lower filters but I could not find they key that was stated in the article.

The Microsoft fix worked perfectly, deleted both registry entries and rebooted and both the LG & Pioneer drives are now visible AND working.

Thanks for all your help and patience - MUCH APPRECIATED.

Cheers.

Ron...

Back
Top Bottom