Windows 8 dxdiag does not show speed mode video card

Carox

Hello,
I bought a vaio laptop a month ago.
Intel® Core™ i5-3210M Processor 2.50 GHz with Turbo Boost up to 3.10 GHz
Windows 8 Single Language 64 bit
HDD: 750 GB (Serial ATA, 5400 rpm)
NVIDIA® GeForce® GT 640M LE GPU(SPEED MODE) with 2GB dedicated video memory/ Intel® HD Graphics 4000(STAMINA MODE)
4GB DDR3 RAM

I find this system a bit slow. I dont really play games, but frequently use software such as Photoshop, Autocad, ArcView, and play videos. I have a performance switch which enables me to switch over stamina and speed mode. I switch between modes using the switch key and restart the system thereafter. But in both the modes, the dxdiag command shows only the intel graphics card and dedicated memory as 32mb. I have attached the dxdiag information for both the modes with the mail. Even if I disable the intel graphic card from device manager, the dxdiag command shows no graphic card(n/a). For specific programs, the GPU Activity Icon in the notification area shows that nvidia is operating.

I wished to know as How can I check which graphic card my system is using when I switch between the two modes? Why does the dxdiag command shows only intel graphic card in both the modes? Is there any way of making nvidia as the device than intel? Which mode is recommended and why?

Thank You.

Attachments

• DxDiag_speed.txt
    78.7 KB · Views: 579
  • DxDiag_stamina.txt
    78.7 KB · Views: 480
On systems with on-board graphics cards and separate dedicated graphics cards, Windows is generally designed to make the best possible use of this arrangement. In general, when you are using the desktop or Modern UI, you are rendering in 2D. The OS should switch over to the NVIDIA® GeForce® GT 640M LE GPU when 3D rendering is required.

Thanks... Sorry i could not check mail for long...
SO, i assume it is normal for dxdiag to show only one graphic card in both the modes.
And, nVIDIA at times does not get activated on its on while I work on photoshop. As soon as I click on performance tab (edit> preference >performance) nVIDIA gets activated.
Thanks...

On systems with on-board graphics cards and separate dedicated graphics cards, Windows is generally designed to make the best possible use of this arrangement. In general, when you are using the desktop or Modern UI, you are rendering in 2D. The OS should switch over to the NVIDIA® GeForce® GT 640M LE GPU when 3D rendering is required.

Back