Edge Browser has Become Almost Useless

Hermitkrab

Honorable Member
My equipment: Toshiba laptop, W10 Pro

The new Edge browser used to work very well, but for a while now I've been getting "Error 502, bad Gateway" every time I try a search. My Firefox browser works fine, but I'm still curious why Edge is misbehaving. I was trying Vivaldi browser recently and there was no problem. Only seems to happen with Edge. Any ideas?

Thanks, Neemobeer. You always come through on my questions. All i can say is, I’m glad I have Firefox as a backup. It’s always worked flawlessly for me. :up:
I wonder why only Edge is affected? Vivaldi is also a Chromium based browser and unaffected.

You may want to try changing the search engine. If you're using bing they may be having issues.

Thanks again, Neemobeer. I usually prefer Duck Duck Go with my browsers (both FF and Vivaldi are set that way). I looked in the settings for Edge and couldn't locate any info on the search engine being used. I'm guessing it's Bing, or whatever MS prefers to use.

I also noticed that the "Error 502" message only occurs if I'm doing a search. Clicking on my bookmarks, everything is OK. I was going to change default browsers, but I'll keep Edge as my default since it works OK for the most part. If I can find a way to change the search engine, I'll do that. I think you really hit on the answer, as it seems the search engine in Edge is probably the culprit

Yeah it's a little buried.

Enter this for the URL in edge
edge://settings/searchEngines

Or:
Click the three dots
Settings
Privacy, Search and services
Scroll down to the bottom to "manage search engines"

Neemobeer, i tried that. All it does is take me to the settings page where I can't find anything about search engine. Is it because MS doesn't want you to change from whatever engine they want you to use?
BTW, everything is working normally now, but don't know why. I would still like to use Duck Duck go if possible, but if not, 'll stick with the current settings. Thanks for everyone's assistance.

Neemobeers sjhortcut takes me to the same item I indicated ? There you can change your searcher.

Dave, clicking on the 3 dots and then settings, as you indicated previously, doesn't take me to any search engine choices. Is my particular Edge browser messed up somehow? At any rate, if I can't change to Duck Duck Go it's not too big of a deal since at least the browser is working well now. Whatever the previous glitch was will remain a mystery. Thanks.

is my pa

The third item - privacy, search.etc?
But I am wondering if you have updated edge to its latest (Chrome) release?

1623427769228.png

Back