Windows 10 Edit powercfg values (

Hexan

Hi

So I got this tremendous slow machine with specs we cannot change...
However I´ll try to boost and speed it up as much as possible.

Windows build:
S Name: Microsoft Windows 10 Home
OS Version: 10.0.19045 N/A Build 19045
OS Manufacturer: Microsoft Corporation
OS Configuration: Standalone Workstation
OS Build Type: Multiprocessor Free
Registered Owner: N/A

Power options:
There seems to be no power-schemes like balance, high performance or optimal.
Instead I had to create a new custom.

But GUI wont display much settings at all under /advanced.
Just 4 options.

So instead , cmd /powercfg /Query gave us:

CPUs.
Min
GUID Alias: SUB_PROCESSOR
Power Setting GUID: 893dee8e-2bef-41e0-89c6-b55d0929964c (Minsta processortillstånd)
GUID Alias: PROCTHROTTLEMIN
Minimum Possible Setting: 0x00000000
Maximum Possible Setting: 0x00000064
Possible Settings increment: 0x00000001
Possible Settings units: %
Current AC Power Setting Index: 0x00000005
Current DC Power Setting Index: 0x00000005

Max
Power Setting GUID: bc5038f7-23e0-4960-96da-33abaf5935ec (Maximalt processortillstånd)
GUID Alias: PROCTHROTTLEMAX
Maximum Possible Setting: 0x00000064
Possible Settings units: %
Current AC Power Setting Index: 0x00000064
Current DC Power Setting Index: 0x00000064

DISK
Power Scheme GUID: 7e5e49a9-abf3-45ec-baac-2697fb80753e (Mitt anpassade schema 1)
Subgroup GUID: 0012ee47-9041-4b5d-9b77-535fba8b1442 (Hårddisk)
GUID Alias: SUB_DISK
Power Setting GUID: 6738e2c4-e8a5-4a42-b16a-e040e769756e (Stäng av hårddisken efter)
GUID Alias: DISKIDLE
Maximum Possible Setting: 0xffffffff
Possible Settings units: Sekunder
Current AC Power Setting Index: 0x0000001e
Current DC Power Setting Index: 0x0000001e

What should I do and edit ? Will it make any difference

From the information you provided, it seems like you are trying to optimize the performance of your Windows 10 machine by adjusting power settings. While changing power settings may not drastically speed up your computer, it can help improve performance to some extent. Let's go through the settings you shared and discuss what changes you can make.

1. CPUs:
- The "Min" power setting for the processor controls the minimum state that the CPU can operate at. The current AC and DC Power Setting Index values indicate that the minimum processor state is set to 5% for both cases. This means that your CPU is allowed to operate at a minimum of 5% of its maximum capacity.

- The "Max" power setting for the processor controls the maximum state that the CPU can operate at. The current AC and DC Power Setting Index values indicate that the maximum processor state is set to 100% for both cases. This means that your CPU is allowed to operate at its full capacity.

Based on these settings, your CPU is already running at its maximum capacity. If you want to optimize performance, you can ensure that the "Max" power setting is set to 100%. However, be aware that this may increase power consumption and generate more heat.

2. DISK:
- The "Disk" power settings control the behavior of hard drives. The current AC and DC Power Setting Index values for the "Stäng av hårddisken efter" setting indicate that the hard disk is set to turn off after 30 seconds of inactivity for both cases.

If you want to improve performance, you can increase the time before the hard disk turns off. This can help prevent unnecessary disk spin-ups and improve response times, especially when accessing files. You can modify the "Stäng av hårddisken efter" setting to a higher value, such as 5 or 10 minutes, depending on your preferences.

Keep in mind that changing power settings comes with trade-offs. For example, increasing the time before the hard disk turns off will consume slightly more power. Make sure to consider your specific needs and priorities when adjusting these settings.

Overall, adjusting the CPU and disk power settings may provide some performance improvements, but do not expect significant speed boosts. To further enhance the performance of your machine, you could consider other optimizations, such as cleaning up unnecessary files, disabling startup programs, updating drivers, or upgrading hardware components if possible.

Will it make a different yes. Will you notice a difference probably not. Any software that claims to make your computer blazing fast is just snake oil. You can't make hardware faster. Your options are to upgrade hardware where you can.

For example you can typically go from say an Intel i3 to an i5 or i7 within the same generation (this will help a lot if you are on an i3)
Memory You really only may be able to upgrade the amount (which if you have say 2-4GB going to 8 or 16 will help)
Disk If you don't have a SSD then you should considering getting one especially if you have a m2 or NVME slot (much faster than a sata interface

Back
Top Bottom