Windows 7 Edit the registry

otuatail

I know this is not specific to windows 7. I want to delete registry values using a .reg file so it can be batch processed.

I created a new registry within adobe :
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Adobe.adobebridge\Desmond

I then created sample.reg file with the following
[-HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Adobe.adobebridge\Desmond]

Nothing else in this file. I got the error message

Cannot import D:\Sample.reg: The specified file is not a registry script...

Any help how I can use a .reg file to simply remove this added key?

Ok I have added the line
Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

As the top line on it's own. This works fine.

Now for a tough question...
How do I collapse a registry TOTALY?
What I mean is not just to scroll to the top and simply close all the main sections down. If I do that and open one it expands back out. What I would like is collapsing all the inner sub keys as well. Have tried asking this before.

The only way I know is to click on the last one showing in the hierarchy, then keep pressing left arrow until the hives are closed.

Hi! That's not hard for me. You just keep clicking on the arrows until they are all closed!;)
PS I hope you know what you're doing in the registry. That's a good place to brick your PC!
Capture48.JPG

Yep I am a programmer. I never played with the registry. I have managed a few changes now I have added Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00 at the top. I thought there would be a collapse ALL. That is what makes the registry daunting. Especially as a program can add 1,000 of keys all over the place instead of creating a master key to keep it simple.

Hi Above my pay grade. The registry does not scare me however and I do use the F3 key to find and delete old items that are left behind after uninstalling a program. I always have a back up image on a external before messing around in the registry. I'm not a programmer and I don't have any degrees. Just a self taught old country boy. Learned all I know from friends and help forums like Windows Forum!

From a command prompt you can delete it with the reg utility. If you want to delete that key you can type
REG DELETE HKCR\Adobe.adobebridge\Desmond /f you can throw this in a batch file or powershel and you can easily call this from within pretty much any programming language.

If you want to collapse the regedit view completely you can delete the following two keys when regedit is closed. It re-writes them upon exit.

REG DELETE HKCU\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Applets\Regedit /v LastKey /f
REG DELETE HKCU\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Applets\Regedit /v View /f

Last edited:
Back