Windows 7 Editing Registry Keys

Hashem Elezabi

I'm trying to use TinyUmbrella, but it won't start. From surfing the net, I found a solution which I don't know how to apply. Here is what he, who wrote this long ago (so I can't ask him about it now), wrote:

Set the registry key
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\JavaSoft\Prefs\com\sema phore\/S/A/V/E_/D/I/R/E/C/T/O/R/Y to a valid path including the escaping slashes.

e.g. C:///Users//joedoe//.shsh

cheers.

Please anyone just explain how to do that; I already opened Registry Editor but don't know what he exactly means by the above.

Editing the registry is a dangerous business and you can really mess up your computer if you don't know what you're doing. More important than knowing how to make changes is knowing how to fix things if you screw up. Let me suggest that if you have to ask this question, it's probably a sign that you should not be mucking around in the registry. I don't mean this in a bad way, but it's probably why you didn't get a response to your question. Nobody wants to help you to potentially get in over your head and have real problems to deal with, especially when you have a working computer. But that aside, I wouldn't trust running any software on my computer that requires manually editing the registry--it's not ready for prime time.

Thanks a lot. I fortunately found other ways to solve my issue without this software, and without playing with the registry, and that's why I forgot about this thread. Thanks for your advice; I'll be careful.

Back
Top Bottom