Windows 7 Enable DirectX 10 for Borderlands in Windows 7

kemical

Windows Forum Admin
Staff member
Premium Supporter
I know some forum users are playing this game so when I saw this post I thought it may come in handy?

Hidden away .. I wonder why. If you're running Borderlands on a Windows 7 platform, chances are you aren't actually running the game in DirectX 10. Why? The bro's over at ShackNews posted a very easy fix that will switch to the DirectX 10 render path and a few tweaks that will give you more visual eye candy to look at.
1. Go to the directory --> C:\Users\[Your user Name]\Documents\My Games\Borderlands\WillowGame\Config a. Find the file WillowEngine.ini (make a copy and rename it as a backup
2. Find the section [SystemSettings]

Change the following settings to True, you will see if you are currently in DX9 as well.
  • AllowD3D10=True (this is the key one to enable the DX10 render engine)
Also change the following
  • MotionBlur=True
  • DepthOfField=True
  • Bloom=True
  • UseHighQualityBloom=True
  • FogVolumes=True
Enable DirectX 10 for Borderlands in Windows 7

Cheers, not sure if I notice much change but will report back once had a longer session...

EDIT: Nope didn't notice any difference...guess despite the ini not being enabled they where in-game anyways before that tweak *sigh*

Last edited:
Damn... I nearley pmed you about the above but thought you'd perhaps had already tried it... Oh well, thanks for at least updating..:)

Back