Windows 7 Error 0x0000709 prevents me from connecting to network printer

Scott Norton

I have a shared network printer (Samsung ML-2571n) connected to a Windows XP desktop computer and am trying to use my home wireless network to connect to it from my laptop. When I try to find the computer via its name, I get a DNS error. However, I can browse it by bypassing DNS using its IP address, and cmd.exe ping has average 13ms response time. Explorer shows the printer (name = 'Samsung') on the target system folder. I can view its properties from the context menu, but opening the printer returns the following message:

"Operation could not be completed (error 0x00000709). Double check the printer name and make sure that the printer is connected to the network."

Furthermore, trying to locate the printer from the print driver install software returns this message:

"Samsung ML-2570 Series PCL 6 Installer cannot connect to \\[IP address]\Samsung. Either the printer name was typed incorrectly, or the specified printer has lost its connection to the server."

I have confirmed that the printer is in fact connected to the network; my other Windows XP desktop computer is able to see and print to the target printer. I do have UAC activated. I am running Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit on an HP Pavilion dv3-series computer, and both desktops are Dells.

Update 1: My DNS connection is through the AT&T network, which may not be available considering the problems they've been having lately.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom