Windows 7 Error 1935 when installing a new printer

ralphbar

Hi,

I wonder if anyone can help.

I'm helping someone who has tried to install a new printer on his new HP PC (W7 64 Bit). The installation routine on the disk fails - no suprises there, given that half the stuff on retailers shelves don't have W7 disks yet. He calls for support from the retailer of the PC who point him to Kodak. The Kodak guy shows him where to download the W7 driver and then leaves him to it.

The installation routine hangs after a minute with Error 1935 Microsoft.VC80. Debug CRT, Type="win 32", publictokenkey=[didn't get this],version="8.0.50727.762" . Please refer to help and support for more information

Upon researching this I have found that error 1935 happens when a service is disabled or missing and sure enough if I go to services.msc I can see that 'Windows Modules Installer' is missing. I can also see that Trusted Installer has 'error 2' listed.

I have also tried sfc /scannnow which reports "Windows Resource Protection could not start the repair service"

I have run a quick Malwarebytes scan which reports that the memory and registry are clean.

Now, I am sure I can solve this with a full restore - but I was hoping that someone may have come across this before and knows what to do to get the modules installer back.

Thanks!

If you are running a 64 bit OS you need a 64 bit driver. Has he tried letting Win 7 find a driver and has he clicked the update windows button while doing so?

Back