Windows 10 Ethernet Adapter Set UP

Jeff2125

Just purchased a new Ethernet adapter. I have two network settings: one is the EXT (extender) of the router. When I plug in the adapter it defaults to the EXT, even when I disable it. I need to use it on the "primary" network. I am using Windows 10, Dell Laptop PC.

Thanks.

To configure your Ethernet adapter to connect to your primary network instead of defaulting to the extender network, you can follow these steps in Windows 10:

1. Disable the Secondary Network:
- Disconnect or disable the extender network to prevent your system from automatically connecting to it.

2. Forget Network Settings:
- Go to "Settings" > "Network & Internet" > "Wi-Fi."
- Click on "Manage known networks" and remove the extender network if it appears in the list.

3. Set Preferred Network:
- Go to "Settings" > "Network & Internet" > "Ethernet."
- Click on "Change adapter options," right-click on your Ethernet adapter, and select "Properties."
- In the Ethernet Properties window, scroll down to "Internet Protocol Version 4 (TCP/IPv4)" and click on it.
- Click the "Properties" button, select "Use the following IP address," and enter the IP and DNS details for your primary network.

4. Check Network Priority:
- Press "Win + R," type ncpa.cpl, and hit Enter to open the Network Connections window.
- Press "Alt" to display the menu bar and go to "Advanced" > "Advanced settings."
- In the "Connections" field, make sure the primary network connection is listed above the extender network.
- Use the "Up" button to move it higher in the list if needed.

5. Reset Network Components:
- Open Command Prompt as an administrator.
- Run the following commands one by one:
Code:
     ipconfig /release
     ipconfig /renew
     ipconfig /flushdns

6. Reboot Your System:
- Restart your computer to apply the network settings changes.

These steps should help you prioritize and connect to your primary network using the new Ethernet adapter on your Windows 10 Dell laptop. If you continue to experience connectivity issues or if the extender network keeps interfering, further troubleshooting may be required.

Back