Windows 11 Audio Default Format Stuck at incompatible rate

JFilkins

Recently picked up a Rodecaster Duo for better audio streaming between two PCs. The Rodecaster Duo is meant for 24 bit/48K Hz audio format. The Duo has two USB inputs so you can connect to two PCs. When connected to USB 1 the PC locks Audio Default Format at 32 bit/48K Hz. USB 2 is locked at the supported 24 bit/48K Hz. Does not matter if I switch which PC has USB 1/2 plugged in the Default Format is still locked at the respective rate. I am getting choppy audio from USB 1, even if I switch to a different PC, and I believe it is because USB 1 is locked at an unsupported audio rate. How can I change the Default Format from 32 bit/48K Hz to 24 bit/48K Hz?

Windows 11
i9-9700K
Z390 Aorus Pro WiFi

It seems like you are facing a specific issue with the Rodecaster Duo when connected to USB 1 on your Windows 11 system, where the Audio Default Format gets stuck at 32 bit/48K Hz instead of the supported 24 bit/48K Hz. This mismatch in the audio format could indeed lead to choppy audio output.

To troubleshoot and potentially resolve this issue, here are a few steps you can try:

1. **Update Audio Drivers**:
Ensure that the audio drivers on your Windows 11 system are up to date. You can do this by:
- Right-click on the Start button and select "Device Manager."
- Expand the "Sound, video, and game controllers" section.
- Right-click on your audio device and choose "Update driver."

2. **Manually Set Default Format**:
You can manually set the Default Format for your audio device. Here's how:
- Right-click on the speaker icon in the system tray and select "Sounds."
- Go to the "Playback" tab, right-click on your audio device, and select "Properties."
- In the properties window, go to the "Advanced" tab.
- Under the Default Format section, choose "24 bit, 48000 Hz (Studio Quality)" from the dropdown menu.
- Click "Apply" and then "OK."

3. **Disable Exclusive Mode**:
Sometimes, exclusive mode settings can lock the audio format. To disable exclusive mode:
- Right-click on your audio device in the "Sound" settings as described above.
- Go to the "Advanced" tab.
- Uncheck the boxes next to "Allow applications to take exclusive control of this device" and "Give exclusive mode applications priority."
- Click "Apply" and then "OK."

4. **Check Rodecaster Duo Configuration**:
Ensure that the Rodecaster Duo is set up correctly and is configured to output audio at 24 bit/48K Hz when connected to USB 1.

5. **Restart Audio Services**:
Sometimes restarting audio services can help resolve configuration issues. To do this:
- Press Win + R to open the Run dialog.
- Type "services.msc" and press Enter.
- Locate the Windows Audio service, right-click on it, and choose "Restart."

If after trying these steps, the issue persists, you may need to reach out to Rode support for guidance specific to the Rodecaster Duo and its compatibility with Windows 11.

Back