Windows 10 Ethernet Connection Issues

Hello,
I'm having some issues with my Ethernet Connection. The adapter is called: Realtek PCIe GBE Family-Controller, and the laptop is a Lenovo G50.

My Wi-Fi works fine, but ethernet isnt working. I already tried to reinstall windows and reinstall the original windows and settings from when i bought the laptop. I tried every reboot-option, but it doesn't fix the problem.

When i hover over the ethernet cable icon with the orange triangle in it, it says unknown network, no acces to the internet.
When i try the troubleshooting function, it says that the cable is not properly connected or damaged. It also says that the ethernet doesn't have a valid IP-configuration. I tried a different cable, but the same problem.

I tried to give the laptop a Static IP, but that didn't fix the problem either. When i used the automatic DHCP server, it gave my laptop an IP Address that starts with 169.xxx.xxx.x, but the dhcp server on my router only gives 192.168.2.10 to 192.168.2.250.

When i try the commandprompt ipconfig /renew, it says that the media is disconnected so no operation can be performed. I also tried the netsh int ip etc. commands but that didnt work as well.

What am i doing wrong?
I hope someone knows the solution to this.
Rick

It sounds to me like either the ethernet has blown on your motherboard, or the connector is damaged, or the router/switch your plugging it into is not working correctly.... Especially since you did a reinstall, and have tried multiple cables.

Can you try wiring another device to the same port in your router/switch to verify it does indeed work?

Also inspect the connector with a flashlight/magnification to see if the connector is damaged.

If it is indeed the port you can either replace your motherboard, or buy a USB to Ethernet adapter if you must have ethernet.

The switch is working fine, other devices such as an Playstation 4 work without any problems.

I tried multiple cables, but the same problem.

I think the ethernet port could be broken, because i notice my laptop is having trouble recognizing the cable in the port. Sometimes when i touch the cable, the connection disappears. It is also very easy to pull the cable out of fhe port.

Will a USB-to-Ethernet adapter fix my problem? The troubleshooter's main problem seems to be the unvalid IP configuration..

If you've done a fresh install of Windows and the adapter has a driver and still won't pull an IP and a Playstation 4 pulls an IP with the same cable, I'm pretty sure the port is shot. Whether it's on the motherboard, or the physical port itself. So yes a usb to ethernet adapter should work just fine. Why do you need ethernet vs Wireless, what application will you be using ethernet for? I'm asking because it may depend on the adapter you wish to get since your machine has USB 2.0 and 3.0. USB 3 can do Gigabit I believe.

Also it's possible it's just the physical port if you can see some damage or looseness to it.. but finding a local board level repair place can be a hard task and the issue could still be within your motherboard itself.

The wi-fi on my room keeps losing signal, and is very slow, so i used a cable to get on the internet.

I dont play online games on my laptop or other things that require a super fast internet connection, just surfing on the web.

What (kind of) adapter do u recommend me buying? I've seen multiple but i dont know which one has the right specs.

Oh if you look you can find USB to ethernet adapters with USB hub's for 2-4 ports also if you need extra USB ports. :)

The way our house is built, the wifi signal has some trouble getting upstairs.
The router is directly below my room, so i think something in the ceiling is interfering with the signal.

What are my best options to improve the wireless connection? I used a powerline adapter for my wired connection upstairs, so i can plug in a cable if necesarry.

If the router is really right under you I would just suggest re-positioning the router. Most home routers have omni directional antennas. So think donut shaped signal propagation. If you are directly above it there is a hole directly above the router much like said donut. This hole is typically has about a 10 foot diameter. You could also buy a range extender. Just make sure if you use the 2.4Ghz range 802.11g that you place the router on channel 1,6 or 11 and the extender on a different of the channels listed.

Hi there,
To add to neemo's excellent suggestions; I'd highly recommend this Range Extender from Netgear you can get here on Amazon:
https://www.amazon.com/NETGEAR-N600...500rp+universal+dual+band+wifi+range+extender
I have bought 2 of them, and they are great! :encouragement: I have one here in my Mobile Home (1200 sq. ft.) and another one installed at my local Senior Club for their Senior Center. The original one I bought for me cost me $199.99 a couple of years ago. The cost for my 2nd one on Amazon was $79.99. This one I gave you the link to is under $50 US! Quite a bargain; as long as you don't have 802.11ac in your wireless device (desktop PC, laptop, tablet, phone), this will do the trick for your situation. My first one I bought is now at our Senior Club and has been working for about 2 years with just about no problems at all.:up:

Best of luck,:encouragement:
<<<BIGBEARJEDI>>>

Back