Windows 7 Excel File Vanished!!

Demonweare

I have a fairly complex Excel file that I view and edit everyday that has mysteriously vanished! I have searched the computer extensively and have even run data recovery software (GetDataBack) and found absolutely no trace of the file!

Outlook Journal indicated a most recently used time that pointed (as indicated by Event Logs) to a moment at which my computer was logged off - can't remember why!

I can't figure out where this file has gone or how it has been purged!

Any ideas?

Thanks

Use R-Studio to recover it, but be careful not to install it to the drive you had the file on.

Also be careful to make sure that nothing at all is written from this point forward to the drive, until recovery, for best chances.

Recover the file to a different drive or partition than the original.

If the file was on your Windows drive itself, pull the drive out of the machine and attach it to another computer that you've installed R-Studio on already.

Hi TorrentG

I have already run GetDataBack with no happy results. I'm assuming that R-Studio will have better results? Or is this futile after already running GDB?

I'm not keen on doing it again because it took GDB 16 hours to scan my HD (1 TB)!

Thanks

There is no scanning time. Run the software, then look in the location the file was. It will either be there to recover or not, instantaneously, depending on if you've overwritten it yet or not.

Good luck.

R-Studio didn't bring up anything that GDB didn't (but it was much quicker!).

Is there any software available that keeps a log of file traffic/activity, i.e. creating, renaming, moving, copying, deleting, etc.? It's not gonna solve my current problem, but for future's sake!?

(Interestingly: The same thing actually happened to me when I was a child, using Windows 3.1! Two actively used BMP files mysteriously vanished overnight!!)

Thanks anyway

R-Studio didn't bring up anything that GDB didn't (but it was much quicker!).

Is there any software available that keeps a log of file traffic/activity, i.e. creating, renaming, moving, copying, deleting, etc.? It's not gonna solve my current problem, but for future's sake!?

(Interestingly: The same thing actually happened to me when I was a child, using Windows 3.1! Two actively used BMP files mysteriously vanished overnight!!)

Thanks anyway

For Future use DropBox software so in case it vanishes it will still be on their Server

Back
Top Bottom