Exchange 2010 - 2016 Migration Issue

TheKillerQueen

Hi guys,

I have been trying to migrate an Exchange 2010 on SBS2011 to Server 2016.

I have followed this guide to the letter
Migrating a small organization from Exchange 2010 to Exchange 2016 (Part 3).

I moved my test account to the new Exchange server , but both Outlook and my phone failed to reconnect.

I checked all my virtual directories three times, all correct.

I checked DNS. As its an SBS there was no autodiscover record so i manually added it with the new Exchange IP.

Outlook though still tries to look at the new server and if i try to create a new profile it cant see the new one. I can ping it and everything.

I rechecked CAS using the powershell command and that is still showing the old Exchange server as well as my new one, even though i set it to $null as per the guide.

I thought it was down to not having the Exchange license as it was only showing a mailbox role , however after i added it and googled it, the results said that on 2016 its only the mailbox role you see anyway.

If i do the RPC client access on command on the new Exchange i get my correct server name but with .local on the end instead of .com which is also making me wonder why.

So many red herrings and everything is driving me mad. Any one with some ideas?

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A single server. Only has 8 mailboxes so a small database. Basically its just to get rid of the SBS

Stupid question but you said "reconnect", did you try creating a new mail profile and try both the auto discover and manually entering the settings?

I would also use the Test-OutlookConnectivity and Test-WebServicesConnectivity to make sure everything is copacetic

Looking through other guides it says about setting the SCP on 2010 to the same as 2016, but they both use remote.domainname.com

And also if my account is on the 2016 mailbox it shouldnt need to look at the 2010 SCP, so yet again I am going in endless circles.

It looks to be a mixture of DNS and authentication.

Outlook finds the mailbox but won’t connect when it gets to the authentication stage. When trying to manually add the server details , Outlook cant see the new mail server.

If i add a hosts file for remote.domainname.com, it all connects fine. Removing it, and pinging remote. gives me replies from the SBS

Before migrating my test mailbox i looked at all the DNS records on the SBS to change to the new mail server and found none for remote. or autodisover.

Does SBS hide these amongst other DNS records?

Not unless you have a filter enabled while viewing DNS, otherwise there is no way to hide anything.

Thats what I thought. This is so bizarre. Outlook can find the mailbox but when trying to login just comes up with ‘the action cannot be completed, the connection to Microsoft Exchange is unavailable’

I’m wondering if there is a bug with the latest Exchange version/ Office 2016...

Been tearing my hair out for two weeks now.

Running “Get-Outlookanywhere |fl” also shows both servers, the SBS as the originating server.

Earlier i ran the Set-OutlookProvider EXPR and EXCH but this has made no odds.

I am fearing that making so many changes to get this working will make it unstable in the future

Back