Windows Vista Expert help needed with big internet problem on vista.

mariuszpud

I am having problems regarding access to various internet sites and my browser is really slow loading.
Most sites are fine , such as you tube, however google will not search and facebook just simply loads forever !
My firewall,security etc are all set as they should be and modem/connection appear fine.

Help

I am having problems regarding access to various internet sites and my browser is really slow loading.
Most sites are fine , such as you tube, however google will not search and facebook just simply loads forever !
My firewall,security etc are all set as they should be and modem/connection appear fine.

Help

Do you have SP1 installed? If not then install it as it contains several bug fixes especially for this type of problem..
You can find a download link in the 'Support' section of the forum.

Well, I have a couple of things you can look at: How to troubleshoot Internet Explorer 7 issues in Windows Vista Maybe this is cookie or spyware related. Have you tried using another browser? Opera Opera browser: Home page Or maybe: Firefox Firefox web browser | r, more secure, & customizable Take a look at this forum thread: http://www.techsupportforum.com/mic...rum/277397-cannot-connect--certain-sites.html (It also might be a good idea to scan for virus and trojans.....)

I have tried other browsers and still this probles persists?

I have tried updates sp1, malicious software removal, resetting everything i can think of and its made no difference.
There are no trojans , viruses, spyware etc..

Really confused?

I think it is more likely an ISP problem than a trojan (or Vista), but one never knows. Try this :
1- Click Start>Run and type netsh diag gui click OK (The Help & Support Network Diagnostics opens)
2- Click the Set scanning options button and check all empty boxes, then click the Save Options button.
3- Click Scan your system (You will see a blue progress bar while the Tool Network Diagnostics scans your system to gather information about your hardware, software, and network connections)
4- When the test ends click on the Save file button (This will save the test results, you can click Show Saved files to see the results at any time)
5- Look at the results under Modems and Network Adapters, is there any items marked "FAILED" in red, expand those categories, and then view the additional details about what the testing showed and post it here to see if you can get some more help..

Disable your user access control, Start > Search > msconfig > System configuration > Select the services tab andscroll to user access control select disable.

At the Start menu type command, but don’t immediately launch the command prompt. Instead, right-click it and choose Run As Administrator. Type this command:

netsh interface tcp show global

If the line Receive Window Auto-Tuning Level does not say “disabled,â€Â￾ enter this command:
netsh interface tcp set global autotuning=restricted

If this doesn’t help, do the whole process again, but this time substitute this command:
netsh interface tcp set global autotuning=disabled

That should add considerable speed to your browsing

Ultimate User

Its not only the speed of the browsing its the problem that alot of sites will not load at all.
Some sites load fine but others will not?

I am contemplating going back to windows xp?

At this point, I think "Davehc" has a good point of view. It's reasonable to do a technical/mechanical check. Some part may not be working inside your machine. Have you run "Scannow"? Maybe you have a corrupted file is causing problems. Have you tried coding the websites you can't get into- directly into your security section? Do you use a registry cleaner?

I've read all of the posts but what I haven't seen is anyone tell you how to deduce whether it is your browser or a networking issue with possibly the modem/router.
One thing that I am unclear of is whether this is a DSL Modem or a regular analog modem. Either way, this is what you should do to test your connection. Goto command prompt and type in ping -t facebook.com or any website that is not coming up properly. If you have a good connection, you should continuously get replies from the ip address of that domain name without fail. If you get "request timed out" several times or any at all, I would stop the pinging by hitting ctrl c and then type the command again but this time use a site that frequently works. If you get the same results or they are sporadic, then that would let me know that their might be a dns issue. And if you've used four different modems and they connect fine, then I would change the DNS server by putting in a static one if you have it set to dynamic.

Try this and let me know how it goes. Feel free to email me if you need further assistance.

Chan Heard
[email protected]

Changing to a static IP from a dynamic IP is definitely not going to have an affect on the domain name server, like I understand? Could you please reiterate your statement.

Ultimate User

Okay, i'm assuming that he is on a domain, but if not the fix is the same. Say for instance he is getting a Dynamic DNS server from his modem that he is not able to reach all of the time. Changing to a static DNS server, one that he knows is good will solve the issue with not being able to reach certain pages. Because it sounds to me like he can get to them sometimes but other times he either can't or it takes a long time to load and that most certain can occur if there is a DNS problem. The other posts ruled out spyware and virii and this test will rule out the modem and the ISP, so the only thing left that I can think of is the DNS.

Back