Windows 7 explorer doesnt start when starting up my computer

dangermind

Honorable Member
hey people :)
i have a little problem with windows 7.. it worked fine like a month.. but a few days ago i started my computer and the only thing i saw was my documents .. well yeah i looked at the processes and i saw that explorer.exe didnt start.. i tried to sart a new task and i put xplorer.exe into it and it worked.. but everythime when i restart my computer i need to start explorer by hand.. anyone know what the problem could be? the las thing i installed on my computer was a game called unreal torunament 3.. i removed it again and explorer.exe still wont startup..

(btw i'm running the evaluation copy of windows 7 build 7100)

greetings

Hellow and welcome.

If you see icons on your desktop and you can start Taskmaner, Windowsw Explorer has to be running.

Hello and welcome,
Sorry for all the questions, but........
In order to troubleshoot your problem we need to know more detailed specs of your system hardware.

1. Go to Start > Run, and type msinfo32, look under the Components section for hardware identification
2. Go to Control Panel > Device Manager and look for any entry that has a yellow flag beside it
3. The manufacturer name and model number of your PC, if applicable
4 Please fill out your computers specs in the User Control Panel here on the site as well. It will then appear next to your name. look at my posting and you'll see the drop-down arrow.

The exact make and model of your motherboard would be of great help also.
Are you using the 32-bit or 64-bit version?
Was it a "clean" install or an upgrade?
Are you dual-booting?
Do you recall making any changes to your system orinstalling any software that may have caused the problem?

i dont see icons on my desktop.. only a black screen with my documents window on it..
here the ino:

OS Name Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate
Version 6.1.7100 Build 7100
Other OS Description Not Available
OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation
System Name JAAP-PC
System Manufacturer To Be Filled By O.E.M.
System Model ALiveNF4G-DVI
System Type X86-based PC
Processor AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 4200+, 2431 Mhz, 2 Core(s), 2 Logical Processor(s)
BIOS Version/Date American Megatrends Inc. P1.40, 27-2-2007
SMBIOS Version 2.4
Windows Directory C:\Windows
System Directory C:\Windows\system32
Boot Device \Device\HarddiskVolume1
Locale Netherlands
Hardware Abstraction Layer Version = "6.1.7100.0"
User Name Jaap-PC\Jaap
Time Zone W. Europe Daylight Time
Installed Physical Memory (RAM) 4,00 GB
Total Physical Memory 3,25 GB
Available Physical Memory 2,57 GB
Total Virtual Memory 6,50 GB
Available Virtual Memory 5,67 GB
Page File Space 3,25 GB
Page File C:\pagefile.sys

no yellow flags @ device manager

no manufacturer its a self build computer.

runnign the 32bit version

it was a clean insall

not dual booting

i installed a few games and removed some due low disk capacity.. only have 14gb free now

Thanks fro the info

Go to Start > Run and type diskmgmt.msc and take a screenshot and attach it back here for review.

That's a very large amount of used space:confused:

Look for a folder named C:\windows.old and delete it.

already deleted that folder.. i installed alot of programs like microsoft office,drivers and other programs/games.. and disc D is a backup i stored movies music and game installation files there,,

Fast, Powerful Search Utility Enables Hidden features
If you download the following you can use the Find Files feature to search by size to see what files are taking up the most amount of space. The top 2 will most likely be pagefile.sys and hiberfil.sys. If you have files larger than this, that may be why your space is taken up.

In a previous post I mentioned Powerdesk

It's File Finder feature leaves Windows Search in the dust.

You can search using wild cards, including multiple wild cards, such as lf*12*.dll. this will locate all occurrences of Lead Tools graphic viewers that require version 12.

You can append file result searches

You can limit search by path or drives

You can search by attributes

You can search by Date, Time, and Size

You can filter by any file type.

Go to Start > Run, and type Regedit.

Drill down to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon.

in the right-hand pane, make sure the Shell entry ins explorer.exe.

Also go to Start > Run, and type services.msc and make sure the Desktop Windows Manager Session Manager is running and set to Automatic.

Last edited by a moderator:
shell sais: Explorer.exe C:\WINDOWS\Config\csrss.exe

And desktop Windows Manager Session Manager is running and it is set to Automatic...

Sorry, it's a little early in the morning.

Create a restore point first

Now, vavigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon.

Change the entry to just explorer.exe

Reboot

i tried then nothing did boot.. so i restored and its the same as before.. no explorer.exe

Last edited by a moderator:
Go to Control Panel, Folder options and make sure Show Hidden files is checked, uncheck Hidden fies extensions for unknown type, and Show Superhidden files.

The directory may not even exist, the virus just used that path name under the Winlogon key

Back
Top Bottom