Windows 7 explorer.exe stopping me from clicking non-desktop windows

Kristian Lawton

Hi guys.

I'm running Windows 7 64-bit on a custom-built computer. I've had it for a year and a half now, with no issues as big as this. I have a ROCCAT Kone[+] mouse and a Microsoft Wired 400 keyboard.

Yesterday, when I was on the computer, I suddenly was unable to control all but one window with my mouse. I could control any program with my keyboard, and could control that specific program with my mouse, but it was as if any other programs were not there to my cursor. No hover effects, no clicking, no making the window active. I closed the only program I could control my mouse with, hoping it would solve the issue. But the problem just moved to the next active window. I kept closing programs until I had just the desktop, and that solved the issue.

Until I rebooted. Upon rebooting, my mouse could interact with no other programs than my desktop. I thought what the hey, I only need my computer for 10 minutes on one program, so I used task manager to end explorer.exe. That fixed the issue, I could control any window I had open. Except explorer.exe was gone, and I had no way of getting it back. So I did what I went on the computer to do, and shut it down.

Then today, the same thing happened. My mouse can control nothing except the desktop unless I end explorer.exe.

I tried ending other processes that might interfere, such as rainmeter, but that did nothing.

What the hey?

– Kris

"Have you tried turning it off and on again?"

Clearly I hadn't, because it's fixed now that I restarted. I'm not sure it's gone forever, but we'll see.

Back