Windows 7 External backup medium. Delete to recycle bin possible?

ztplru

Extraordinary Member
- Is it possible to Delete to recycle bin when having and external backup medium such as HD or USB flash drive?

- Is it ok to have a usb flash drive as a full backup medium? I am looking to get a 2TB usb flash drive as my main backup medium!

Deleting data from any storage device will always go into the recycle bin. You can use a flash drive to back up data. I'm not sure you want to get a 2TB flash drive, they cost over $1500. You're better off just getting an external hard drive.

for external backups a NAS is much better... the problem with (all) USB drives is that the data can become corupt if the power drops out; like when you pull them out before they are ready

Recicle bins are mostly on those disks that was installed(mounted in casing) during OS installation. Any externals won't have rec.bin on them so you are good to go.

If you have is Linux a like with some 15-30 GB disk space it's OK to switch to thumb drives (3.0 or 3.1 ports ofc) they are fire wire speed.

Deleting data from any storage device will always go into the recycle bin. You can use a flash drive to back up data. I'm not sure you want to get a 2TB flash drive, they cost over $1500. You're better off just getting an external hard drive.

If you delete a file from a flash drive it does not go to the recycle bin. I just tested! And it's been my experience!
The idea for a 2TB flash drive is portability but if its not advised then i will get a 2TB 2.5 light HD or SSD.

for external backups a NAS is much better... the problem with (all) USB drives is that the data can become corupt if the power drops out; like when you pull them out before they are ready

NAS is good but i need a portable solution! I would like to use a cloud! I tried mega.nz but it has too many problems and is slow!
I agree with you about the USB drives corruption when you pull out.

Seems like an external HD/SSD is the best option right?

Any externals won't have rec.bin on them so you are good to go.
If you accidently delete something it's not cool!
Better that the files to go to recycle bin!

I guess if the HD is purely for a clone backup then i don't need to delete anything...

I use a seagate NAS that I can access from anywhere with browser level internet (the NAS itself says under a desk)

i don't consider external SSD reliable for my backup needs

a NAS controls its own data and just lets the local systems talk to it so (not impossible for malware to attack) unlikly that a encrypt attack can get to it
a failure due to fire, theft | wacked with a hammer etc is the more common way to lose data form a NAS
I own a Seagate NAS and could ask them i.e, Seagate to recover my files from their backup files because I am linked into their service

malware would be a much bigger issue if I only had a USB hdd hocked up and yes (in that senario) I would unplug the hdd after grabbing what I need and place it in a desk or something to keep it away from any nasty lurkers

I use a seagate NAS that I can access from anywhere with browser level internet (the NAS itself says under a desk)

i don't consider external SSD reliable for my backup needs
Why?

Then NAS or regular HD is the way to go!?

Slightly off topic, but it is not a bad idea to save your backups off-line, out of reach of malware on your computer, think of what happens if it gets encrypted. I would strongly recommend it.
Just a thought

Very good point! This is the safest way!

Back
Top Bottom