Windows 7 External Hard Drive Drops Out

visibility

I have a 2TB Seagate hard drive that keeps dropping out in Windows 7. I use it as my main backup drive and when writing to it using either of the two backup apps I use the drive usually "disconnects" and I have to switch it off and on again to use it.

I've tried using a different USB port and a different USB cable - same thing. I have run Windows 7 error-checking checking which reports no errors.

When it disconnects, device manager shows that it is still connected and working but it definitely doesn't work. For instance, I can double click and open it but it shows no folders. Switching it off and then on fixes this but only temporarily.

This problem started about a month ago and seems to be getting worse over time. To me it sounds like a drive problem but I'm not sure how to diagnose it. Your assistance would be appreciated.

Take a look on the Seagate forums and see if it has the wonderful Green Technology. Some WD externals suffer from that. Some backups and watching movies may not produce enough activity and the drive goes to sleep.
Joe

In device manager, right click on it, click properties and see if there is a power management tab there, if so untick the box that says "allow the computer to turn off this device to save power".

Back
Top Bottom