Windows 7 External HDD does not display in windows explorer

Sub-Tract

Please help,
I have just re-formatted this computer once again and put Windows 7 on it again.
Last time I had the exact same build of windows 7.
My Problem is that this time, when I plug in my External HDD (generic driver) It registers, installs the driver, and says it is ready to use, When you open my computer it does not display.
I have been to disk management and It lists the device, when I Right click the device and click a task such as Properties or Change Drive Letter it gives me an error message saying
"The Operation Failed to complete because the Disk Management Console View is not up-to-date. Refresh the view by using the refresh task. If the problem persists then close the disk management console, then restart disk management or restart the computer"
As I have already tried these numerous times with No Success, and with a good 5 and a half hours of googling the issue and finding a lot of similar problems, but alas no Solution.
I don't think the problem is in the HDD or cabling itself as it works fine on computers Running XP, Vista, Redhat linux. It displays on the Microsoft Xbox Console and the Sony Playstation 3 Console.
I even suspected it to be a hardware problem, but as the HDD works fine on the same Hardware with simply a different HDD as boot HDD.

Please Help, This is not my main computer but as I Seem to have enjoyed the windows 7 experience I seem to be using it more and more. Anyone with any information to for this problem, no matter how insignificant it may seem, Please reply as at the moment I am out of ideas and any information may help.

PS. This is a bit off the topic but can anybody suggest an anti-virus to use, I previously used avast with success but as avast for reasons that I probably inflicted I would prefer not to use. I Have Tried the New Norton That supposedly supports windows 7 but during starting its processes Causes a blue screen on tdx.sys I tried AVG as I have herd stories about people successfully using it, along with trend micro, but during starting of the processes I get the same blue Screen.
Anyways Thanks in advance

Jacob

Please help,
I have just re-formatted this computer once again and put Windows 7 on it again.
Last time I had the exact same build of windows 7.
My Problem is that this time, when I plug in my External HDD (generic driver) It registers, installs the driver, and says it is ready to use, When you open my computer it does not display.
I have been to disk management and It lists the device, when I Right click the device and click a task such as Properties or Change Drive Letter it gives me an error message saying
\"The Operation Failed to complete because the Disk Management Console View is not up-to-date. Refresh the view by using the refresh task. If the problem persists then close the disk management console, then restart disk management or restart the computer\"
As I have already tried these numerous times with No Success, and with a good 5 and a half hours of googling the issue and finding a lot of similar problems, but alas no Solution.
I don't think the problem is in the HDD or cabling itself as it works fine on computers Running XP, Vista, Redhat linux. It displays on the Microsoft Xbox Console and the Sony Playstation 3 Console.
I even suspected it to be a hardware problem, but as the HDD works fine on the same Hardware with simply a different HDD as boot HDD.

Please Help, This is not my main computer but as I Seem to have enjoyed the windows 7 experience I seem to be using it more and more. Anyone with any information to for this problem, no matter how insignificant it may seem, Please reply as at the moment I am out of ideas and any information may help.

PS. This is a bit off the topic but can anybody suggest an anti-virus to use, I previously used avast with success but as avast for reasons that I probably inflicted I would prefer not to use. I Have Tried the New Norton That supposedly supports windows 7 but during starting its processes Causes a blue screen on tdx.sys I tried AVG as I have herd stories about people successfully using it, along with trend micro, but during starting of the processes I get the same blue Screen.
Anyways Thanks in advance

Jacob
Hi Jacob,

For your first problem: i

\"The Operation Failed to complete because the Disk Management Console View is not up-to-date. Refresh the view by using the refresh task. If the problem persists then close the disk management console, then restart disk management or restart the computer\"

I can suggest a work around using Diskpart tool in elevated command prompt. This assumes (since no SPECS in your post ref: Link Removed due to 404 Error ) you have already enabled the required USB options in your BIOS setup, connected the ext HDD directly to a USB-2 port of this PC, checked Device Manger > Disk Drives to make sure your Ext HDD ( make and model?) is seen without problems etc.

1. Click Start
  2. Type in CMD toward the top of Start Menu under Programs (N) N=number
  3. Right click CMD > Run as administartor
  4. Type in and press ENTER the command DISKPAT at the Prompt (>) > DISKPART [ENTER]
  5. Type in and press ENTER the command LIST DISK at the Prompt > LIST DISK [ENTER]
  6. Type in and press ENTER the command SELECT DISK N (N=your disk number) >SELECT DISK N [ENTER]
For other options like partition etc in Diskpart type Help or ? at the command prompt Ex: DISKPART>HELP [ENTER]

Hope this helps.

Regarding Antivirus suggestion:
can anybody suggest an anti-virus

I use Antivir Free edition and paid Premium Suite, These have no compatibilty issues with Win 7.
Antivir Free has a Nagscreen prompting you to upgrade to paid. [They too need to survive in these bad economic times so I bought the Premium while using the free in some :)] You may perform known "tweak therapy"(Google to find) if Nagscreen causes you a lot of pain:D

Your reply to this post may help others reading it whether the troubleshoot succeeds or fails.
Good luck

Thank You for Responding.
I Tried out your method, And had No Success,
I Have how ever resolved the issue.
I Uninstalled the driver for the device, I then Force Installed a different generic driver and it seemed to work fine.
Thank you for your effort. Much Appreciated, And thank you Antivir Works a treat.

Thank You for Responding.
I Tried out your method, And had No Success,
I Have how ever resolved the issue.
I Uninstalled the driver for the device, I then Force Installed a different generic driver and it seemed to work fine.

Thank you for your effort. Much Appreciated, And thank you Antivir Works a treat.
Hi Sub-Tract,
Thank you for posting back the results of your troubleshoot and glad you have solved the problem some other way and also found Antivir accetable.
It would have been good if you had also posted your Computer SPECS and the Make and model of the External HDD you had problem with so that readers of this thread would have had a clearer understanding of why you had the problem and how your troubleshoot fixed it that way serving as your contribution to the Forum for others with similar problems to try.
Happy computing :)

Sorry cmn.
The Computer I am using is a Celeron M 1.73Ghz, 1 Gigabyte of RAM (DDR2) The PC is a Lenovo (IBM) Laptop.
Nothing Special, but I am however Very pleased with how well it is running Windows 7.
And as for the USB External HDD. I bought it some time ago and As it was a Kit Drive I can't remember what specific drive I put inside. It is a 3.5" 7200rpm Sata Drive with a Sata to USB Controller. When you plug it in, it simply says "Generic External HardDrive"

I must also Say, I am very Happy with the way windows is going.
This PC was "Vista Capable" however it didn't run very well.
But as Windows 7 has a much better Service Control feature. It means that only the services I require at the time are running. Meaning My computer Runs Much better than I had hoped.

it can only get better from here. :D

Back