vims213

I recently purchased an External Hard Drive:

The External HDD consists of:

Western Digital 3.5" SATA II Caviar Green 1TB 7200RPM 32MB
Link Removed - Invalid URL

Welland 3.5" SATA To USB2.0/eSATA External Hard Drive Enclosure
Link Removed - Invalid URL

When I plugged into my laptop I encountered a few problems:

The External HDD won't show up on "My Computer" but on my "Safely Remove Hardware Icon," it says "Remove USB to ATA Bridge." (THIS IS FROM USB 2.0)

Secondly, after I tried to plug it in again, I heard a clicking sound and Enclosure & Power Supply started to flash.

Lastly, my eSata connection isn't responding to my Computer.

What could be wrong with the HDD?

Cheers.

It sounds like the USB to ATA adapter isn't seeing the drive attached to it but i can't be sure. Did you assemble this enclosure yourself? Are you sure all the parts are assembled correctly and compatible with one another (particularly that the USB to ATA controller can handle a 1TB drive)

It sounds like the USB to ATA adapter isn't seeing the drive attached to it but i can't be sure. Did you assemble this enclosure yourself? Are you sure all the parts are assembled correctly and compatible with one another (particularly that the USB to ATA controller can handle a 1TB drive)
The external HDD was assembled by Eden Computers and they did test it on their laptop and it worked for them. I think they were running Vista instead of Windows 7.

Right click computer and click manage. Choose disk management. If it shows up there, reformat it in NTFS and give it a new drive letter just in case.
What motherboard and chipset are you using?

Right click computer and click manage. Choose disk management. If it shows up there, reformat it in NTFS and give it a new drive letter just in case.
What motherboard and chipset are you using?
Its a bit too late to do that now since my External HDD is not being recognized by my laptop. It's making that clicking sound whenever my External HDD is switched on.

I'm not too sure what the motherboard and chipset is sorry. All I can say is that my laptop is a HP Pavilion DV5-1209AX.

Any other USB problems?
Have you checked device manager for any yellow exclamations? Check both with the drive attached and with out. What does device manager show for the external drive? If it is showing only the ATA to USB controller try to update the driver for it.
It seems odd since no drivers are needed for an external HDD via USB that is handled natively by seven. eSATA also should be on the same ATA controller as the rest of your drives. With two seperate connection methods failing to produce results it would point to the enclosure but these things aren't foolproof as i'm sure you are aware.
eSATA may be off in BIOS as some allow for turning off eSATA.
Your OS should never see the ATA to USB controller the way i understand it it should simply see a HDD.
i assume you have attempted a reboot with the drive attached. Other than that I'm not sure where to go other than to try the drive on another computer. And post back any results from device manager.

Any other USB problems?
Have you checked device manager for any yellow exclamations? Check both with the drive attached and with out. What does device manager show for the external drive? If it is showing only the ATA to USB controller try to update the driver for it.
It seems odd since no drivers are needed for an external HDD via USB that is handled natively by seven. eSATA also should be on the same ATA controller as the rest of your drives. With two seperate connection methods failing to produce results it would point to the enclosure but these things aren't foolproof as i'm sure you are aware.
eSATA may be off in BIOS as some allow for turning off eSATA.
Your OS should never see the ATA to USB controller the way i understand it it should simply see a HDD.
i assume you have attempted a reboot with the drive attached. Other than that I'm not sure where to go other than to try the drive on another computer. And post back any results from device manager.

And if this doest help, take it back man.

Thanks for your help guys. I decided to get it checked out and thank God there was a 3 year warranty with the HDD. It got replaced with a new one. I also didn't realise that I had to go to Disk Management and create a new partition.

I tried out e-Sata and I found it odd that the transfer speed for e-Sata was 50mb/s (which is fast) but I was expected the 300mb/s that was advertised.

Back