Windows 7 File association problem

SteveMann

Extraordinary Member
Win 7 Premium, 64-bit, HP Pavilion Quad-core, Sony Vegas, .veg files.

The file type association with Sony Vegas (vegas110.exe) is broken. When I go into the Control Panel to select the default program (Sony Vegas) for the type (.veg), I select "vegas110.exe" as the application to start for .veg files. Here's the problem. The program vegas110.exe does not show up in the final screen where I am supposed to select the default program for the associated .veg files.

Reinstalling the program (Sony Vegas) doesn't reset the .veg file association.

Any tips for fixing this would be appreciated.

So you are using the Set Default programs on the Start Menu, All Programs.

You go to "Associate a file type or protocol with a program"

When you hit the browse button, the .exe file does not appear, and you have the .exe file type or All File types selected on the options? If the exe files shows up in Explorer when you look for it, there must be a listing in the window.

That's the weird part. When I hit "Browse", I can navigate to the .exe file. I select it, but it does not show up in the list of possible programs to make the association.

My workaround is to drag the .veg file to the Vegas shortcut (icon) on the desktop (or in my project folder), and everything works as expected.

Can you not open the Vegas program and select an option to associate .veg files with it, amongst others?
Although the Browse method has always worked for me.

There's no option within the program to create the associations, and when the program is installed, it makes the associations automatically. I tried reinstalling the program, but the association still isn't there.

I hope my explanation makes sense...

I had a similar problem with Open Office 3.3 recently trying to create a files association with .odt files. Open Office did not appear as a option for opening the file.

I solved it by opening "associate a file type... with a program", highlighting the file type I wanted to work with and selecting the "change programs" button to open the selection dialog.

With the dialog still open, I opened Start >> all programs >> Open Office and click/dragged the icon for the Open Office base directory from the list of Open Office programs into the selection dialog which created the option of selecting that program to open the file type I was working with.

Perhaps this procedure will work in your situation as well?

Thanks for the tip - I thought you might be onto something, but all I got was a circle with the line through it.

Well, maybe we should try to find out why it will not allow the program to be made available for the extension.

What is the path of the Vegas110.exe file?

When you right click, are you using the Open option or the Open with option to associate the file. If you just Open it, what happens?

Are there any other extensions that do work with the Vegas program?

Well, maybe we should try to find out why it will not allow the program to be made available for the extension.

Thanks for hanging in there with me.

What is the path of the Vegas110.exe file?

C:\Program Files\Sony\Vegas Pro 11.0
I tried adding that folder to the system PATH environment variable, but it made no difference.

When you right click, are you using the Open option or the Open with option to associate the file. If you just Open it, what happens?

When I right-click and open with, Vegas is not in the "recommended" or "other" programs list. If I browse for Vegas110.exe, it still doesn't show as a recommended or other program.

Are there any other extensions that do work with the Vegas program?

Just for grins, I tried associating .veg with CoreTemp.exe - it worked.

My current workaround is to have copies of the shortcut to Vegas110.exe on any of my project folders, and I just drag the .veg file to the shortcut and Vegas opens the project as expected.

It almost seems that Vegas110.exe is not registered, but reinstalling it made no difference. Still unable to associate .veg to it.

So, Vegas110.exe is a 64 bit program? If it was 32 bit, you would be looking in Program Files (x86).

If you right click and do not have a prior association, it appears you will not be offered an Open with option. Thus, I asked what happens if you just open a .veg file. So what does happen if you open or double click the .veg file - nothing until you associated it with something else?

Also, I wanted to know if another extension did work with Vegas so we could check it to see how it was setup. So, do any other extensions work with Vegas and how are they shown in the file association dialog window or what do they show as open with?

I really do not understand why you can not associate it correctly, unless something is blocking the association or overriding it. Do you have any other software that is related to video editing?

Just for fun, if you open the registry editor and search for .veg, do you find anything listed? There may be around 5 separate entries if it shows at all.

Also, did you try going to the Set Associations Applet in Control Panel?

If you go to Start----> Search Programs and Files, and type set association a suggestion will appear: change the file type associated with a file extension.

Please do me a favor and browse that list for .VEG to see if the extension is listed.

Also, similarly to the above post,

Open Regedit and go to HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT and look for the .VEG file extension in the list. If found, please report the contents of the subkeys. These should be under Open With Extensions or something to that effect.

So, Vegas110.exe is a 64 bit program? If it was 32 bit, you would be looking in Program Files (x86).

Yes, it and the prior version were 64-bit.

If you right click and do not have a prior association, it appears you will not be offered an Open with option. Thus, I asked what happens if you just open a .veg file. So what does happen if you open or double click the .veg file - nothing until you associated it with something else?

This all started, come to think of it, when I upgraded from Version 10 to Version 11 of Vegas. I would double-click on a .veg file it would go to Version 10 - the old version. I uninstalled Version 10 and the O/S then responded to a double-click on a .veg file that there was no file association. No problem, I thought, just right-click and do an open with. So, that's where we are.

Also, I wanted to know if another extension did work with Vegas so we could check it to see how it was setup. So, do any other extensions work with Vegas and how are they shown in the file association dialog window or what do they show as open with?

No, the .veg file is the only filetype that normally works with Vegas. (I do have Version 11 installed on another computer, also running Win7, and the associations work just fine there.

I really do not understand why you can not associate it correctly, unless something is blocking the association or overriding it. Do you have any other software that is related to video editing?

Nope - Vegas is the only video editor I use.

Just for fun, if you open the registry editor and search for .veg, do you find anything listed? There may be around 5 separate entries if it shows at all.

Here's what I found:
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.veg, the default is "vegas110"
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Classes\.veg, the default is "vegas110"
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\FileExts\.veg, the default is (value not set)
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\RecentDocs\.veg, there is a list of ten binary values, the "recently edited" list.
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Sony Creative Software\Vegas Pro\10.0\Metrics\Application, there are several filepaths of recenly edited project files.
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Sony Creative Software\Vegas Pro\11.0\Metrics\Application, there are several filepaths of recenly edited project files.
HKEY_USERS\S-1-5-21-2437404622-1252169379-2008161773-1001\Software\Classes\.veg, the default is "vegas110"
HKEY_USERS\S-1-5-21-2437404622-1252169379-2008161773-1001\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\FileExts\.veg, the default is (value not set)
HKEY_USERS\S-1-5-21-2437404622-1252169379-2008161773-1001\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\RecentDocs\.veg, there is a list of ten binary values, the "recently edited" list.
HKEY_USERS\S-1-5-21-2437404622-1252169379-2008161773-1001\Software\Sony Creative Software\Vegas Pro\10.0\Metrics\Application, there are several filepaths of recenly edited project files. (Version 10)
HKEY_USERS\S-1-5-21-2437404622-1252169379-2008161773-1001\Software\Sony Creative Software\Vegas Pro\11.0\Metrics\Application, there are several filepaths of recenly edited project files. (Version 10)
HKEY_USERS\S-1-5-21-2437404622-1252169379-2008161773-1001_Classes\.veg, the default is "vegas110"

I do see something odd. I uninstalled Version 10 when I installed Version 11, but there are still two registry entries from that version. I wonder??

Often when programs are uninstalled certain elements of them remain (usually in the form of a directory or registry key) so I wouldn't be surprised if you find a few remnants remaining.

If you want to start over fresh, I recommend the following:

Download Revo Uninstaller PRO from the below link

Revo Uninstaller Pro - Downloads

Install and launch Revo Uninstaller Pro.

At the top of the main console window, you will see an option called Force Uninstall. This option will first attempt to run the standard uninstaller, and then proceed to examine the rest of your PC for any remaining elements of the program, including files, folders, and registry entries. You can choose if you want the standard scan, advanced scan (takes more time) or the quick scan. I usually recommend on the first try using the default option. Once it finds items remaining, you can select all of them and the program will remove them for you.

Once Vegas is fully removed, try to install it again and see if the issues persists.

Just another thought which may be a long shot. Very often those programs have several .exes (for all kinds of things - e.g. Uninstall). Could you by chance have chosen the wrong .exe. Check by double clicking on the .exe you chose to see whether the program launches.

Back